Thread: Any mid priced cymbal recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default Any mid priced cymbal recommendations?

I'm graduating from middle school this year and my parents agreed to buy me some mid priced cymbals as a reward. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been considering Meinl Classic Customs or Classic Custom Dark but I'm open to any ideas.

I'm also a pretty heavy hitter and play lots of loud music so I need to be able to cut through distorted guitars.

Thanks for helping!
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any mid priced cymbal recommendations?

Are you dead set on Meinl? If not, I would seriously consider taking a look at Sabian XS 20's. very nice cymbals for the price. The hi hats have an excellent chick sound. B20 bronze.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Best advise I have gotten here, buy USED! Zildjian A's, Sabian AA, HH, etc. Fraction of the cost of new. Also I have been really impressed with my Dream Contact crashes (B23 alloy, hand hammered).
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Best advise I have gotten here, buy USED! Zildjian A's, Sabian AA, HH, etc. Fraction of the cost of new. Also I have been really impressed with my Dream Contact crashes (B23 alloy, hand hammered).
    I'll second this. I got my HH ride for the price of a b8 ride in practically new condition. I bought my crashes new but only because they had a 50% off deal. Plus I ended up getting a free one from a warranty gone wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Are you dead set on Meinl? If not, I would seriously consider taking a look at Sabian XS 20's. very nice cymbals for the price. The hi hats have an excellent chick sound. B20 bronze.
    I second this. The XS20 are great cymbals for the money. Also, I'd caution the used route because you never know how the previous owner treated them. And if you are a heavy hitter as indicated, I'd definitely start with new AND buy the extended warranty.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I'll second this. I got my HH ride for the price of a b8 ride in practically new condition. I bought my crashes new but only because they had a 50% off deal. Plus I ended up getting a free one from a warranty gone wrong.
    I got 13" Zildjian A Custom hats for $125 used, a 20 inch Zildjian A Medium ride for $85 because it needed a lot of elbow grease to get back to looking good, and my Dream crashes (16 & 17") combined for $160. All great deals used.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Off Topic History for Ramona:

Did you know the Gretsch family began business in Brooklyn, NY in 1883 ?
    In 1916 they bought a 10-story building..........the address is 60 Broadway St.
    They would soon become the largest music company in the United States.
    This lasted just short of 100 years; they sold to the Baldwin Company in (I think) 1967.
    The Gretsch family bought the drum division back and is still operating in South Carolina..............now in their 134th year.
    During 1983, they built a very limited number of unique "birds-eye maple" sets and tagged them with special badges to mark the 100th anniversary (below):

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help! I'm not set on one brand over another. I'll definitely check all these cymbals out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Off Topic History for Ramona:

Did you know the Gretsch family began business in Brooklyn, NY in 1883 ?
    In 1916 they bought a 10-story building..........the address is 60 Broadway St.
    They would soon become the largest music company in the United States.
    This lasted just short of 100 years; they sold to the Baldwin Company in (I think) 1967.
    The Gretsch family bought the drum division back and is still operating in South Carolina..............now in their 134th year.
    During 1983, they built a very limited number of unique "birds-eye maple" sets and tagged them with special badges to mark the 100th anniversary (below):

Cool! I never knew that. I thought it was weird that they had a Brooklyn series of drums since they are now based in South Carolina. Now I know they aren't just trying to be hipsters.
    - Chad Smith
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
    Cool! I never knew that. I thought it was weird that they had a Brooklyn series of drums since they are now based in South Carolina. Now I know they aren't just trying to be hipsters.
    Read history summary here...............click on the dates..............

http://www.gretschdrums.com/history
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Also check out the "S" line from Zildjian. Different options to choose from, my local GC can't keep them in stock. I believe B12 alloy but are affordable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    Also check out the "S" line from Zildjian. Different options to choose from, my local GC can't keep them in stock. I believe B12 alloy but are affordable.
    I've played these a couple times at gigs but they weren't for me. Thanks for helping though!
    - Chad Smith
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Read history summary here...............click on the dates..............

http://www.gretschdrums.com/history
    Cool! Those old catalogues are nice!
    - Chad Smith
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

I third the Sabian XS20 series. Fantastic cymbals for the price.

User Info Menu

Try the Paiste PST-7's & PST-8's. Pretty close to 2002's but about $100 cheaper.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Try the Paiste PST-7's & PST-8's. Pretty close to 2002's but about $100 cheaper.
    PST-7's are great but even cheaper is the Steve Weiss cymbal pack. I am very happy w/them. The 16"& 18" crashes sound very good including the 14' HHat's! 20'' ride so,so and 10'' splash OK.

User Info Menu

I've been using saluda cymbals along with my zildjians and sabians .they are nice b20 cymbals and pretty affordable. Some of the wuhans are OK if you can pick through them.I've heared that the kasza cymbals are good for the money. Another great option is to buy high end cymbals used. Sometimes you can get lucky and score some amazing cymbals for not too much money.good luck whatever you decide.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax