Thread: PDP Concept Direct Drive Pedal Review

User Info Menu

Default PDP Concept Direct Drive Pedal Review

I couldn't resist. They only sell for $119 and they had a 15% holiday sale.

It arrived yesterday, so all I've had time to do is inspect it and mess with it for about 20 minutes. First impression; this thing is VERY impressive. Lightweight, solid (DW build quality), simple (only 2 adjustments) and as close to the feel of my old Speed King as I've found. It's like DW designed it with the optimum geometry and just built it that way. There is ZERO play or side-to-side slop in the footboard. It's as smooth as my Pearl Demon Drive. We'll see what I think after I play it for a 4hr gig.
    IMG_0877.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Concept Direct Drive Pedal Review

Thanks. Been wondering about these.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch)
    Premier Artist Maple (with Birch Snare) - yellow/fusion.
    Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste Signature:
    10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18", 20" Full Crash

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride

Paiste Sound Formula:
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I couldn't resist. They only sell for $119 and they had a 15% holiday sale.

It arrived yesterday, so all I've had time to do is inspect it and mess with it for about 20 minutes. First impression; this thing is VERY impressive. Lightweight, solid (DW build quality), simple (only 2 adjustments) and as close to the feel of my old Speed King as I've found. It's like DW designed it with the optimum geometry and just built it that way. There is ZERO play or side-to-side slop in the footboard. It's as smooth as my Pearl Demon Drive. We'll see what I think after I play it for a 4hr gig.
    IMG_0877.jpg
    Yes please do a review after you've played it ! Very interested in getting one for my niece .

User Info Menu

Wanted to get into more detail, but it wouldn't be a fair assessment until I put it in action. Things always seem "great" at first. I WILL say this; I was worried because the on-line pics make it look kinda cheap and chintzy. In person, it's a darn solid piece of hardware. I'm definitely not a high intensity, demanding player, so even my post-gig assessment should be taken in context.
    I really like my Pearl Demon Drive, but I've yet to get the "SK feel" I desire from it. This PDP was much closer right out of the box. There's also some peace in knowing that there's only 2 possible areas of adjustment that can be made. I don't have to worry about all the "what if" settings like on the Pearl Demon. Interesting enough, I watched a video of a DW design engineer talking about it. He said they took their "favorite setting" from the MDD and basically built the Concept pedal based on that geometry. We'll see if it it lacks the power that many direct drive pedals do.

IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Update-
    I got to play the new pedal for about 4hrs today at band practice. It's very nice. Great feel and power. My only criticism after extended play time; the spring could be a little stronger for my taste. I have it adjusted about as strong as I can get it, and it's still just a touch on the light side. It would probably be OK for playing heel down, but I play heel up. I like enough spring pressure that the beater doesn't touch the head when I rest my foot on the board. I had to move my foot back on the board more than normal to reduce my leverage. I THINK I can buy a stiffer replacement spring (?).

As a side note; I think it's the compression spring design that gives the old Speed Kings their feel.
    -Brian