Thread: Adding a New Floor Tom

User Info Menu

Question Adding a New Floor Tom

Currently have a 5 piece set with one 16x16 floor tom. Kit consists on 22x17 bass, 12x10 & 13x11 drum mounted toms and 14x5.5 snare. Cymbals are Sabian 20 inch ride, 16 inch crash and hi-hat B8's. Kit is a 2000-2002 Yamaha YD.

1. I was wondering who here plays with a 6 piece makes use of the extra tom?
    2. Should I get a 14 inch or 18 inch?
    3. Rather save the money & spend the +$150 on a cymbal upgrade?

Thoughts?
    Better the devil you know, than you don't know! (Better the devil you know, the real devil is me!)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Adding a New Floor Tom

there are lots of things that come to mind with this. how many tom's do you need vs how many you want. 2 up 2 down 1 up 2 down 2 up 1 down. transporting set up tear down will take longer etc etc etc

to me a 14 would be pretty sonically close to the other toms so I'd want the 18. i'm using a YD 16 in my set right now. It's not bad.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Really your call based on what and how you play. Want vs need. If you do go for an extra FT, I'd go for the 18".

User Info Menu

I also think with a 12/13/16 kit, adding a 14 would be too close in sound to make a 6pc. An 18 would fit better if you play all 6.

However, a 14FT would allow you to configure a 1up/2dwn kit in 12/14/16.

You could also consider adding a 10" to the mix for a 3up/1dwn in 10/12/13/16. It would be a lot cheaper than adding a 18" FT. It may also be easier to utilize a 10" in fills and most songs.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I too would do an 18" FT
    I with PDP made a matching 18 for my kit :(
    Someday I want to add an 18" to my Pork Pie kit also. I can have that one custom made anytime luckily

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I too would do an 18" FT
    I with PDP made a matching 18 for my kit :(
    Someday I want to add an 18" to my Pork Pie kit also. I can have that one custom made anytime luckily
    Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, an 18 inch floor tom will set me back +$200.00 so I'll look for used. My whole kit cost me $300.00 used!

I too wish I could find a matching blue for my set.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I also think with a 12/13/16 kit, adding a 14 would be too close in sound to make a 6pc. An 18 would fit better if you play all 6.

However, a 14FT would allow you to configure a 1up/2dwn kit in 12/14/16.

You could also consider adding a 10" to the mix for a 3up/1dwn in 10/12/13/16. It would be a lot cheaper than adding a 18" FT. It may also be easier to utilize a 10" in fills and most songs.
    I have a 10 inch roto-tom that fills in nicely but a nice 10 inch drum may be an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    there are lots of things that come to mind with this. how many tom's do you need vs how many you want. 2 up 2 down 1 up 2 down 2 up 1 down. transporting set up tear down will take longer etc etc etc

to me a 14 would be pretty sonically close to the other toms so I'd want the 18. i'm using a YD 16 in my set right now. It's not bad.
    Well, that is a silly question. How many do I want? As much as I can't afford!
    Last edited by Howzit; 04-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Better the devil you know, than you don't know! (Better the devil you know, the real devil is me!)

User Info Menu

I play a six piece, but I have three up, one down. For the way I olay, I prefer that set up. I have 8, 10, 12, 16 toms.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I was chatting to my drummer friend, Norberto, in Argentina today, and these are his words: "DO NOT GET ANY MORE DRUMS UNTIL YOU UPGRADE YOUR CYMBALS!". He's a Zydjian fan-boy. So I spent the afternoon checking out YouTube comparing cymbals.

One thing I learned is that the B8's are fine except for the 14 inch hi-hat. I like my 16 inch crash and the 20 inch ride so those will be replaced last. But I do agree that the B8 hi-hat is not great.

So now I'm researching hi-hats.

User Info Menu

So I sat down and banged away on the cymbals today. Loosening them, repositioning, trying different hits, sticks and giving them a critical ear. Here is what I found:

20 inch ride - Love it. Great ride, lovely sounding bell and a decent crash. This is an awesome cymbal!
    16 inch crash - Like it a lot. Very nice crash and a very decent bell. A very good crash.
    14 inch hi-hat - Like it. It sounded dull so I played around with it height and different settings. Different strikes. After awhile I got it to sound quite decent.

So after taking the Sabian B8's for granted with a constant thought to upgrading I finally take them seriously and guess what? They are very decent!

If and when I do upgrade I'm keeping the ride for sure. Might even keep the crash as an add-on. Until then I'll stop listening to the nay-sayers.

User Info Menu

I have several B8s, and several ZBTs that I love. In fact I just bought a set 13" B8 hats that I picked over a set of 14" New Beats in a side-by-side test at my buddy's drum shop. He set them up on 2 stands, and played them while I wasn't looking---even he was surprised when he liked the B8s better!

User Info Menu

I'm playing the B8X's and for blues and southern rock they do very well IMHO.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals