Thread: Good Drums -- Bad Sound

User Info Menu

Default Good Drums -- Bad Sound

I went to see a band last night at one of the clubs in town -- I had not seen them in quite a while....................good players.
    They have a new bassman...............he was running direct with a 6-string bass guitar.............different, but he had good sound and good stuff.

The drummer was playing some PDP shells..............WMP -- to me it looked like 10/14/22.
    Good shells and good drummer..............but his sound was average, at best.
    Old heads on the toms and everything tuned high...........like soprano/alto.
    And a PP squealer 4X12 popcorn snare drum that was "no balls" at all.............very "tinny".
    The bass drum sounded really good and I was glad that one drum was normal.

I've always enjoyed the smaller tom sizes tuned low............they have better tone to me.
    And................I would have never used a "side" snare as my main axe.............for me, it didn't work.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good Drums -- Bad Sound

At least the "standard", 22" sounded good, but then, it's 22". I'd think the 10" and 14" would be too small for a BIG sound...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Of course, what sounds "good" is in the ears of the beholder. That said, I prefer the lower tones as well. That's why my batter head journey went from the single ply clear, to coated single play, to 2 ply, to EC2 heads. I love my sound now.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think a lot of it depends on the heads and tuning. I've gigged with a 8/13 combo and a 10/13 combo. If you tune the 13"FT about as low as you can get it...just on the edge of that "flappy" sound...it actually works pretty well as a FT. The 8" up tom sounds cool, but just not quite enough volume or sustain by nature. When I went to my 10/13 Bop kit, it was a big improvement. The 10" up tom, if tuned low/medium, works good and fits well with the 13"FT. If you hang a mic over the kit, it's more than enough for most every place we play.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

end of the day was it a cover band ?..they probably didnt care

also i have played many great kits with terrible heads ..what is the point of all this? ..so embarrassing to play any broken kit