Thread: Good Drums -- Bad Sound

User Info Menu

Default Good Drums -- Bad Sound

I went to see a band last night at one of the clubs in town -- I had not seen them in quite a while....................good players.
    They have a new bassman...............he was running direct with a 6-string bass guitar.............different, but he had good sound and good stuff.

The drummer was playing some PDP shells..............WMP -- to me it looked like 10/14/22.
    Good shells and good drummer..............but his sound was average, at best.
    Old heads on the toms and everything tuned high...........like soprano/alto.
    And a PP squealer 4X12 popcorn snare drum that was "no balls" at all.............very "tinny".
    The bass drum sounded really good and I was glad that one drum was normal.

I've always enjoyed the smaller tom sizes tuned low............they have better tone to me.
    And................I would have never used a "side" snare as my main axe.............for me, it didn't work.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good Drums -- Bad Sound

At least the "standard", 22" sounded good, but then, it's 22". I'd think the 10" and 14" would be too small for a BIG sound...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com

User Info Menu

Of course, what sounds "good" is in the ears of the beholder. That said, I prefer the lower tones as well. That's why my batter head journey went from the single ply clear, to coated single play, to 2 ply, to EC2 heads. I love my sound now.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

I think a lot of it depends on the heads and tuning. I've gigged with a 8/13 combo and a 10/13 combo. If you tune the 13"FT about as low as you can get it...just on the edge of that "flappy" sound...it actually works pretty well as a FT. The 8" up tom sounds cool, but just not quite enough volume or sustain by nature. When I went to my 10/13 Bop kit, it was a big improvement. The 10" up tom, if tuned low/medium, works good and fits well with the 13"FT. If you hang a mic over the kit, it's more than enough for most every place we play.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

end of the day was it a cover band ?..they probably didnt care

also i have played many great kits with terrible heads ..what is the point of all this? ..so embarrassing to play any broken kit