Thread: I hate when that happens!

User Info Menu

Default I hate when that happens!

Pulled out a new pair of Steve Gadd sticks, played half of a song and one of them splits completely down the middle. It was the one I was using on the hi-hat, so it didn't even have a chance to hit a drum head before it broke. I hate when I get a defective stick, especially when it is a nice one.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: I hate when that happens!

When I go to the the States, I buy those big bags of unmatched sticks from guitar centre. Some of them lasted for minutes, some for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Never had that happen, but it would suck. I just got a pair of Steve Gadd sticks. I love 'em...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Never had that happen, but it would suck. I just got a pair of Steve Gadd sticks. I love 'em...
    I myself use them now and then,I like the weight of them. I also use promark 747's nylon tip. That's weird, I never had that happen with the Steve Gadd sticks.

User Info Menu

You may have hit it on the rim or something. Sometimes all it takes is hitting it at just the right angle and it will snap.
    Mine usually last a long time but I'm playing 5B's so they're thicker.

User Info Menu

you need to look at the vertical grain when you buy sticks make sure they are straight

User Info Menu

Question...Are they maple?

Maple= great drums....lousy sticks...

Maple is a hardwood yet is quite brittle.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Question...Are they maple?

Maple= great drums....lousy sticks...

Maple is a hardwood yet is quite brittle.

all the best...
    They are a hickory stick.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Guitar center had a sale on a brick of 6 pair for $30, which is the cheapest I had ever saw them for so I picked up a brick. My son and I both really like them.

User Info Menu

I use maple/ hickory sticks all the time and never had issues with splitting but they do chip. The brand I use are Los Cabos made in Canada. The best long lasting stick that I ever bought and I have tried pretty well all of them. Now I am a Los Cabos fan.

User Info Menu

This is why I have used the Vic Firth Nova sticks for years without issue. They are the same stick but are not 'perfect' i.e. the wood grain may have a slight discoloration. Otherwise, I find them to be the same as the equivalent standard line of VF's but without the price tag. That way, should I break one early (usually down to me hitting too hard/poor technique) I haven't lost too much money on them.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I had this happen often with Manu Katche and Tim Alexander sticks. Scared me away from Zildjian sticks. Ages ago Vaters split on me too. ProMark and Victoria Firth I've had good luck with.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

An email to the manufacturer may produce a replacement pair if they were defective.

User Info Menu

This has happened to me twice,once with Vater 5A Los Angeles and Regal Tip 5B. I bought both pairs at a Sam Ash store closing sale. Within 2 weeks I broke both pair on the hats. I was thinking maybe the sticks were old and got brittle, not sure but it was the weirdest thing. Usually I use Pro Mark 747B super rock wood tip and recently Vic Firth Extreme 5B American Classic hickory sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    An email to the manufacturer may produce a replacement pair if they were defective.
    +1...........had something similar happen with a pair of VF's a few years ago...............they sent me a new pair in a couple of days