Thread: Question about Tama Superstar Classic hoops

User Info Menu

Default Question about Tama Superstar Classic hoops

First I'm far from a drummer but I need to start somewhere. I owned an older Tama (Rockstar) I believe around 2002 and played for about a year. I've been wanting to try it again so I purchased a new Superstar Classic set (7 piece) and it was delivered last week. Everything looks pretty nice except the hoops. Where the tension rods screw through the hoops the washer only makes contact on about 1/4 of the surface. I've been doing a ton of research and it seems like some people thinks it matters and other don't. I compared it to a PDP set at Guitar center and the hoop on that set was perfectly flat where the tension screws were. With that said my OCD will not allow me to keep looking at it LOL.

I plan on calling Tama tomorrow to see if they would replace the hoops that are way off but if not I'm going to purchase new ones. Does anyone know how S hoops would affect the lighter shells on this set? What other reasonably priced options would I have as far as replacing them? I was going to try and post pictures but can't seem to figure it out. Anyway, any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about Tama Superstar Classic hoops

That's not uncommon, even on new drums. I'd need to see pics, but if the tension rods themselves are angled out, then the lug casings do not set out far enough to be in-line with the hoop holes and new hoops wouldn't do much to fix it.

If they tune up easy and sound good, then it really doesn't matter. Tama is a quality manufacturer. I have a new PDP Concept kit, and there are things about it as well that aren't quite "up to snuff". You can find issues with any brand of kit, even pro-level kits.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The rods look pretty straight but it looks like the area of the hoop where the holes are is slanted down instead of straight across.

User Info Menu

You could try some 2.3mm triple flange hoops from Gibraltar. They're good quality and pretty inexpensive. I've never tried S-hoops, but always wanted to. Regardless, I think they'd be an improvement in sound over the factory hoops.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You could try some 2.3mm triple flange hoops from Gibraltar. They're good quality and pretty inexpensive. I've never tried S-hoops, but always wanted to. Regardless, I think they'd be an improvement in sound over the factory hoops.
    Out of my 13 or so snares four of my snares have S hoops. I don't think I would put them on my toms, but you never know. I rim shot a lot, so they work great on the snares!

User Info Menu

Do yourself a small inexpensive favor and purchase and bag of nylon washers.

You will get a bit larger sized washers and they will turn smoother and hopefully keep the correct tension on the lugs at all times.
    Signature here