Thread: Changed stick sizes

User Info Menu

Default Changed stick sizes

Has anyone else had to change stick sizes due to pain/fatigue when playing?

I've been using 7A's for years, but over the past few months I would have pain and fatigue in my hands and wrists after just a couple of songs. I struggled to get through a few gigs due to this.

I had a pair of 5A's sitting around the house and decided to try them, and had no issues. I've been using them for over a month now (to include a 3 hour jam session over the weekend) and have had no issues with pain or fatigue at all.

I'm not sure what the issue was, but I have tried the 7A's again just to see, and the same issues arose. I guess I'm just suited to play a bigger stick now for whatever reason.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Changed stick sizes

Hmm sounds a bit odd that a smaller, shorter stick would be causing issues, but maybe one tends to hold them differently...I switched to 5a from a 5b for a similar reason, until I realised I just wasn't drinking enough beer..now I'm back to 5b's...

User Info Menu

Well, I don't drink due to being diabetic, so I will continue to try the stick change lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I changed stick sizes also. I was playing VF AJ2's and now I'm using Vater 5A's (Los Angeles) and Pro Mark 5A's.

I think (now there's a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. WAIT, did someone say 5th or was that just my senility kicking in, which is a complete possibility. I'm waiting for 2012 to get here to see if the Mayans, Aztecs, or those 6 guys on the bayou that were air lifted out by flying saucer and now run UFO Chat, are right. You have to believe them because 6-7 bottles of Thunderbird makes it impossible to lie or to tell the truth. So you just flip a coin and tails, we are history, heads and Trump becomes president. That, of course could never happen because Hillary told me so).

Seriously, jump on that people, doesn't happen often, I think a slightly heavier stick gives you more control and a somewhat larger diameter stick feels better in the hand. (1 of my GF's told me that decades ago. Amazing how she knew).

User Info Menu

I tried switching to a larger stick but I just didn't feel as comfortable.
    I felt faster and had longer stronger endurance with the lighter thinner stick.
    I break them more but play better IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I tried switching to a larger stick but I just didn't feel as comfortable.
    I felt faster and had longer stronger endurance with the lighter thinner stick.
    I break them more but play better IMO
    Zack, did you say "break them"? You give a whole new meaning to the words "break them". Cutting a giant Redwood down to make 1 toothpick would be the equivalent. You are the envy of beavers everywhere.