Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent entry level crashes?

User Info Menu

Default Decent entry level crashes?

Hi,

I need to replace my broken crash with a new one, and looking for tips what entry level cymbals are actually OK. Brand does not matter!

I play pop-rock-jazz :-) Not very hard-hitting.

BR

Petter

User Info Menu

Default Re: Decent entry level crashes?

Paiste PST7

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

What's the price of turkish made cymbals in sweden (eg Anatolian Baris line)? They might be cheaper than the big three...
    Last edited by jgziegler; 12-28-2016 at 07:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I love the Sabian XSr medium thin. Great versatile cymbal

User Info Menu

secondhand A custom is the best priced cymbal out there

User Info Menu

Entry level I would recommend for hard hitters and long lasting Zildjian's ZBT's. They sound like crap but are excellent for beginners or entry level. I myself would go for Ziljians A's ( avedis) great all around affordable symbals.

User Info Menu

Sabian xs20s
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Sabian xs20s

I have them on two of my kits.
    My favorite versatile cymbal for sure!
    I still look for them online all the time

User Info Menu

Don't bother with the machine-made ZBT, B8, etc. Check out the Chinese brands, they are sometimes cheaper too. Wuhan, Kasza, CRX, Dream...as well as Sabian's SR2 line. Also check the used market.

User Info Menu

Look into the Zildjian "S" series B12 alloy and not too expensive.

User Info Menu

1. Used Zildjian A
    2. Used Zildjian A
    3. Sabian XS20
    4. Haven't heard the Zildjian S series yet but I've heard they're worth a listen

They all probably cost around the same.

User Info Menu

I think almost ANY entry level cymbal is OK, as long as it's not expected to be more than it is. I'd say stay away from brass and stick with at least B8. If you can score a used B20 anything, then even better. Paiste is a master at making cheaper B8 sound good. The PST7's I have are pretty good. That said, I have developed a love for the dark, slightly trashy and complex sound of my Wuhans. Best of all, they're so cheap (here in the US) that they're basically disposable.

If you're not a hard hitter, I would suggest going with thin/light or medium thin cymbals....as opposed to medium, heavy or rock weight cymbals. They will open up with less force and volume.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've just done a bit of investigating, a zil zbt 18" crash at the memphis drum shop costs 80USD, at some store in Stockholm, it costs 130...

Guys, I keep telling you, the big three are super expensive over in europe (in all fairness, everything is expensive in scandinavia), and now america hates free trade, it's going to stay that way :(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    secondhand A custom is the best priced cymbal out there
    /\ This

User Info Menu

Can't disagree with looking at used stuff for best prices..........however,

You said DECENT ENTRY LEVEL................
    The B8 is just that..........not pro-line.............but good for starters.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wuhan cymbals are cheap entry level and sound decent too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I've just done a bit of investigating, a zil zbt 18" crash at the memphis drum shop costs 80USD, at some store in Stockholm, it costs 130...

Guys, I keep telling you, the big three are super expensive over in europe (in all fairness, everything is expensive in scandinavia), and now america hates free trade, it's going to stay that way :(

Oh no, just the opposite. America [I]wants[I] free trade in both directions. If everyone dropped their tarrifs on American-made goods, Zildjians would cost less in europe & scandanavia. Even playing field, you know? Although the current strong dollar makes all our stuff more expensive abroad right now. Do you know anyone over here that can shop the US used market for you? Even with shipping costs it might be a good deal for you.

User Info Menu

Free trade agreements require both sides, which means politicians willing to do so. Did America elect the guy running on the free trade ticket?

The problem with shipping something that size is that customs will probably have a look. I sometimes get packages over here, but USPS boxes into which you could put something maybe 12". Bigger boxes mean suspicions which mean they might take the shipping cost and claim that as customs duty. Any money saved is lost on that (personal experience)

BTW I have not ever seen and wuhans over here...I'm sure they are here somewhere, but not like in the states.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post

4. Haven't heard the Zildjian S series yet but I've heard they're worth a listen

They all probably cost around the same.
    The hi hats are pretty decent.

My vote for honorable mention is Stagg.

The DH line is super premium sound with a moderate price point.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/stagg-dh-dual-hammered-exo-medium-thin-crash-cymbal/486112000914000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CNf ksNnRnNECFQ9EfgodbpoJpA&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^143161975482-sku^486112000914000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I've been using Kasza for the last year or so, have a 17" and 18" R dirty bell crash and they sound amazing. Got them both for less than $100 each new. Also use a 10" R splash and it too sounds awesome, think I picked it up for $35 new. And I am also using 14" R skinnyfat hats and they sound great, got these used for $75 I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Paiste PST7
    Agreed^. And they look nice, too.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Just got 2 Dream Contact crashes (16 and 17 inch) and love the sound of them. Hand hammered cymbals for entry level price, can't go wrong.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

^I've never seen one or heard one in person.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^I've never seen one or heard one in person.
    I am no expert as I just started drumming in August, but the Dream Contacts sound really good mixed in with my Zildjian A Custom hats and Zildjian A medium ride. They have a fast crash, a little trashy, with very light sustain. If you can find them used, you get an even better deal on hand hammered cymbals.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal