Thread: 2nd crash Cymbal placement

User Info Menu

Default 2nd crash Cymbal placement

Since I switched to a 4 pc, Ive been playing w the placement of the 2nd crash (the right hand side crash if you will.) It's kinda funny to me that I've drummed so long yet something like cymbal placement is annoying me, but it is. I've always been 2 or 3 up, so this placement is something new.

The ride is in the sweet spot over the kick w a little overhanging the ft and I love it. I just can't seem to get that crash over the ride in a comfortable, yet also visually appealing place. Do you 4 pc rock guys have it directly above the ride or somewhere in front of or behind the ride? (I know, I know... whatever's comfortable...) just looking for ideas and then I'll tweak it where I want it.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: 2nd crash Cymbal placement

I have it right above the first floor tom. Not too close but not too far. I had a few moments when I felt I was hitting the edge of the crash so I slightly angled the crashes

IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I recently removed my second mounted tom and, after a little experimentation, have my cymbals in pretty much the same position as yours. I found that I prefer lowering my second crash low, about 6" higher than my ride, and keeping it almost flat means its really easy to get to and the low height makes it almost impossible to accidentally strike directly into the edge. My 'go-to' crash by my hats is mounted about 8" higher than my second crash and angled towards me. My set up does look slightly lopsided with all of my cymbals mounted at different heights and angles, but I find it very comfortable and although I have almost zero technique or finesse I find it almost impossible to bite into the edge of my crashes with my sticks (although sometimes I still manage to find a way).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I recently removed my second mounted tom and, after a little experimentation, have my cymbals in pretty much the same position as yours. I found that I prefer lowering my second crash low, about 6" higher than my ride, and keeping it almost flat means its really easy to get to and the low height makes it almost impossible to accidentally strike directly into the edge. My 'go-to' crash by my hats is mounted about 8" higher than my second crash and angled towards me. My set up does look slightly lopsided with all of my cymbals mounted at different heights and angles, but I find it very comfortable and although I have almost zero technique or finesse I find it almost impossible to bite into the edge of my crashes with my sticks (although sometimes I still manage to find a way).
    I too like my crashes pretty low. None of my cymbals pass shoulder height. My right crash is slightly lower than the left. The left crash is set just so that it doesn't hit the splash. I like my setup to be tight and low.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

if I was to sit at my seat and place my arms out in a V shape... that is where I keep my crashes.

User Info Menu

I place a crash on the outside of the ride, if you're a right handed drummer (I am not) it would be to the right of your ride, to allow easy access after ending a roll on the floor tom.

User Info Menu

I use a single crash on my 4 piece setup with the ride over the bass, but my other 2 kits are set up like this.

User Info Menu

I switched to a 4pc about 6 months ago and I'm having the same problem. Have a hard time getting the positioning right. Another problem is that I have short arms so everything is pulled in already. I have it tilted on a boom barely over the ride. This is the best I can do without driven myself crazy.

User Info Menu

Wow, I almost didn't post this as I thought it was silly, but I'm kinda glad to not be the only guy who has changed their tom set-up and suddenly found the cymbals were not in good places anymore. I did what Russ said, moving it to the right of the ride, and it feels better. Gotta tweak it some more tho.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

My crash is to the right of my hi tom and my ride is just under my crash and over my floor tom. my crash is higher than it looks in the pic and not hitting the tom.

User Info Menu

my ride sits right on top of the bass drum. then a 19'' off to the right of the ride. Far right over the floors is a 18'' and on the left between the hats and rack tom is a lovely 17'' UFiP Bionic
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

CD what I would do for a 4 pc. is the ride how you have it and the 2 crash over the floor tom. maybe google John Bonham or Buddy Rich Gene Grupa etc. and see if you like any of their placements.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I think just to the right of the ride is probably most common on a 4pc. . It's easy access off the ride or floor tom. Also, if you play on stage, cymbal stand placement can be a factor. There's not much room to place it anywhere else. I actually use a boom arm off the butt-end of the ride cymbal boom to hold the big crash. That eliminates one stand.
    IMG_0408.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Second crash position ? That is difficult....................
    If I used just two crashes I think I would likely use the same positions as Spaz.

I'm using six crash cymbals and all of them are in their own comfortable position; all of them have a different voice and they all get used often.
    The highest is set at eye-level..................the lowest is a bit over FT level.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)