Thread: Sabian Pro 14" hats

User Info Menu

Default Sabian Pro 14" hats

You guys say..... ???? That's the B8 line, yes ? Got a bead on some used ones, pretty good price. I figure they will sound better than the 13" SBR. you say.....????

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Pro 14" hats

I have a pair of Sabian Pro 14" hats and had a pair of Pro Sonix 14"hats which were very similar. They are 'rock' hats and the top weighs 1130 grams the bottom about 1300, they are rather single purpose and OK for what they are, but definitely 'student' level cymbals. I wouldn't recommend them as a 'one size fits all' type of hi hat (a set of medium weighted hats is my preference) but OK for rock music.

Compared to SBRs then - yes I would recommend them if you play rock/punk/metal and want some cheap, budget level hats, but one thing to consider is these hats are pretty OLD B8 student cymbals. I paid around £30 for a pair about 4 years ago, I'm not sure where you live - but if you are in the US I wouldn't consider paying much more than $30 for a pair. Ignore the name 'Pro', they aren't pro level cymbals and don't let the seller try to convince you they are.

User Info Menu

I just bought a set of 13" B8 hats---picked them over a set of 14" New Beats in a blind test---cheap cymbals are hit or miss---could be great, or could suck! I let my ears decide what I will buy! Cymbals are like a box of chocolates---you never know what you're going to get!!!!

User Info Menu

Maybe 15" hats. Dunno.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of B8's from the 80's and I think they are amazing sounding.
    Maybe with age they have just gotten better but I love them.

I've heard newer B8's make me want to pull my ears off and some that sound good average.
    It's hit or miss