Thread: Anyone ?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone ?

....pull a snare out of the box and it sounded so good you didn't bother tuning it ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone ?

Never.

User Info Menu

I bought some misc. hardware and parts drums a few years ago for $50, and this snare was part of the deal. It sat in the corner for a long time without a second look until I finally picked it up one day and decided to test it out. It became my main snare, and I have never put a key on it!

User Info Menu

Yes, my MCX snare came out of the box all tuned up to the sound that I like must have something to do with the die cast hoops they seem to hold the tune forever.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-29-2017 at 08:02 AM.
    Keep on drumming and have fun doing it.

5pc Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 18x22 14x6.5 matching snare
    Pearl Sensitone 14x5.5 steel alloy snare
    Vintage Slingerland " Festival" steel snare 14x5
    Zildjian A's (avendis) Vintage 70's era
    17 med thin crash, 14 new beat hhts and 21 sweet crash/ride
    Zildjian K 18 med thin crash
    Pearl 1000 series all double braced hadware: 2 cymbal stands , 1 boom stand, hhts stand, snare stand
    Pearl Eliminator single chain drive

User Info Menu

This one...

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Never.
    +1
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I had that twice. With the Yamaha Maple Custom Sensitive 13x6,5 and the latest Recording Custom 14x6,5 steel.
    Last edited by musiqman; 05-02-2017 at 06:43 AM.
    Yamaha Drums | Lignum Drums snaredrums | Zildjian | Vic Firth | Remo | Porter & Davies | Hardcase | Ears4U | EXA Ltd.

User Info Menu

I think it really says something about the company when they go the extra mile to tune it like that before shipping it out. Doesn't mean it will match everyone's preferences but still a good sign.
    - Tom

T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

-----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

my Mapex Black Panther was amazing out of the box.

And my entire Pork Pie kit was fully tuned by pork pie before being shipped
    19pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage | 10pc PDP X7 Sparkle Orange | 9pc Ludwig Jr. wine red | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 39 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

Pretty sure I've never tried................first thing I always do is pull the heads and inspect the drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I bought some misc. hardware and parts drums a few years ago for $50, and this snare was part of the deal. It sat in the corner for a long time without a second look until I finally picked it up one day and decided to test it out. It became my main snare, and I have never put a key on it!

That's Unbelievable!
    That's Unbelievable!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Saluda & Zildjian
    Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    That looks like a Sam Ash/Groove Percussion snare. I Love mine.

User Info Menu

Not "out of the box" with a NEW snare....but I've only bought 1 brand new snare in my life (my PDP). It came from GC and was already un-boxed and tuned by their "expert" staff ...so......yeah, GC.....nuff said.

Now, USED snares; I bought my 13"x5" Pearl COS snare several months ago. It still has the factory heads. When I got home, I played it "as is" and it sounded and played great. I've since used it for 5 or 6 gigs and haven't touched it with a key or even adjusted the wire tension. I almost bought a new Emperor head for it today...thinking I'd try to get a deeper tone from it, but I have a gig tomorrow and decided to leave well enough alone.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-05-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    That looks like a Sam Ash/Groove Percussion snare. I Love mine.
    Good call! Stick your expensive drums where the sun don't shine cork sniffers! This thing is a badass!

User Info Menu

Can't say I've ever not had a tune a drum out of the box. In my experience snare drum heads need to be cranked up out of the box. A perfectly tuned drum typically needs re-tuning after storage, shipping, etc.