Thread: Anyone ?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone ?

....pull a snare out of the box and it sounded so good you didn't bother tuning it ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone ?

Never.

User Info Menu

I bought some misc. hardware and parts drums a few years ago for $50, and this snare was part of the deal. It sat in the corner for a long time without a second look until I finally picked it up one day and decided to test it out. It became my main snare, and I have never put a key on it!

User Info Menu

Yes, my MCX snare came out of the box all tuned up to the sound that I like must have something to do with the die cast hoops they seem to hold the tune forever.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-29-2017 at 08:02 AM.

User Info Menu

This one...

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Never.
    +1
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I had that twice. With the Yamaha Maple Custom Sensitive 13x6,5 and the latest Recording Custom 14x6,5 steel.
    Last edited by musiqman; 05-02-2017 at 06:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I think it really says something about the company when they go the extra mile to tune it like that before shipping it out. Doesn't mean it will match everyone's preferences but still a good sign.

User Info Menu

my Mapex Black Panther was amazing out of the box.

And my entire Pork Pie kit was fully tuned by pork pie before being shipped

User Info Menu

Pretty sure I've never tried................first thing I always do is pull the heads and inspect the drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I bought some misc. hardware and parts drums a few years ago for $50, and this snare was part of the deal. It sat in the corner for a long time without a second look until I finally picked it up one day and decided to test it out. It became my main snare, and I have never put a key on it!

That's Unbelievable!
    That's Unbelievable!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    That looks like a Sam Ash/Groove Percussion snare. I Love mine.

User Info Menu

Not "out of the box" with a NEW snare....but I've only bought 1 brand new snare in my life (my PDP). It came from GC and was already un-boxed and tuned by their "expert" staff ...so......yeah, GC.....nuff said.

Now, USED snares; I bought my 13"x5" Pearl COS snare several months ago. It still has the factory heads. When I got home, I played it "as is" and it sounded and played great. I've since used it for 5 or 6 gigs and haven't touched it with a key or even adjusted the wire tension. I almost bought a new Emperor head for it today...thinking I'd try to get a deeper tone from it, but I have a gig tomorrow and decided to leave well enough alone.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-05-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    That looks like a Sam Ash/Groove Percussion snare. I Love mine.
    Good call! Stick your expensive drums where the sun don't shine cork sniffers! This thing is a badass!

User Info Menu

Can't say I've ever not had a tune a drum out of the box. In my experience snare drum heads need to be cranked up out of the box. A perfectly tuned drum typically needs re-tuning after storage, shipping, etc.

User Info Menu

My Ludwig 13" Supralite came out of the box tuned just fine. Didn't take me long to screw it up, though!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

None of my snares came "out of the box" new. The ones I bought locally were floor demo models that were steeply discounted or the ones I bought online were used Ebay purchases.

User Info Menu

never. unless they know what i want. i crank down not stupid tight but pretty tight.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    This one...

Wow that is one beautiful snare! My favorite color too!

User Info Menu

I have sources who tell me that Bish came tuned out of the box too!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

never owned a "pro" snare that didn't work out of the box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    Wow that is one beautiful snare! My favorite color too!
    Thank you.

Yes, this snare came tuned to the point, I modeled the rest of my snares after the settings on this one. I'm one pleased amigo with all my snares now.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Beautiful Tama snare!
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.