Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the gig

User Info Menu

Default Got the gig

I posted the other day about a band I got a call to audition for. We started practicing at 8am. We did maybe 5 songs and they offered the gig.

I'm excited about it. It's a southern rock, blues, and creole band with a little gospel thrown in. It's a really cool mix to say the least.

This is going to be a lot of fun.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got the gig

Happy for you man sounds like it is going to be fun. Enjoy and let us know how it turned out.

User Info Menu

Hey Whip..........................I hope all goes well.

I can speak from experience: playing in a band that does all-original material allows you guys total freedom to create and love your set list.
    The hardest thing with that kind of band is getting enough places to play the gigs.
    I think you said you already have one place so that is great................best of luck with your new band.
    And congratulations on being selected as the drummer.

P.S. We play Cajuns next Friday (Cinco de Mayo) if you can make it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hey Whip..........................I hope all goes well.

I can speak from experience: playing in a band that does all-original material allows you guys total freedom to create and love your set list.
    The hardest thing with that kind of band is getting enough places to play the gigs.
    I think you said you already have one place so that is great................best of luck with your new band.
    And congratulations on being selected as the drummer.

P.S. We play Cajuns next Friday (Cinco de Mayo) if you can make it.
    I will try to come check you guys out!

In regards to this band, I'm pretty stoked. They have a few CD's out and have enough material to do a third. We worked on a few of the new ones today, and they were fun to play.

This band plays a lot of festivals and other outdoor gigs, so it's going to be fun!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Congrats man, that is awesome!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Fantastic news! Go get em' DrumWhipper!

User Info Menu

congrats man, sounds great.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

8am! my ears don't work until at least 11. congrats
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Great job! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    8am! my ears don't work until at least 11. congrats
    The band rents out a practice space, and that's the only time they could get due to a wedding. There was also a situation with a guitarist, so 8am it was.

I didn't mind. I've watched this band for a few years, and knew they were having issues with the previous drummer. They tried several times and gave him several chances to be a team player, but it didn't work. I knew if that spot ever came open, I wanted to give it a shot, so when they said 8am, I didn't blink.

User Info Menu

Congrats! Have fun.

User Info Menu

Congrats. I guess the early bird does get the worm.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

We have some more practices scheduled, and now that the previous drummer knows he has been replaced, he is trying hard to get back in. The lead singer of the group told him "You're the one who walked away. We found a new drummer, and he isn't as old and angry as you." He then began to rant about how the band will never "make it" and how he didn't really care for other members in the band. Meanwhile I'm just like "I'm here to play drums and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Meanwhile I'm just like "I'm here to play drums and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum!"

User Info Menu

Belated congrats to getting the gig DW!

User Info Menu

Congrats

User Info Menu

A little Saturday morning

20170617_103937.jpg
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 06-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Just a short clip from today. This is an original we're working on. Still got some work to do.

User Info Menu

Congrats DW. Good Luck with it.

User Info Menu

So we got a call today to play an outdoor festival in October. We have work to do with the new guitarist, but we should be ready by then.

User Info Menu

Congrats. I like outdoor playing. Mainly because you don't get that crazy echo from the drums. Btw, how are you liking those b8x cymbals?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The cymbals are great. I've had a lot of compliments from people who think they are a higher grade of cymbal. I think they do just fine for the style I play.

User Info Menu

So we have our "closing" song for our set list.

https://www.reverbnation.com/johnhar...-darken-corner

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It sure makes you feel good when the band founder sends you this

20170710_142418.jpg