Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best gig you've ever played?

User Info Menu

Default What's the best gig you've ever played?

What's the gig where you think you played the best? Why did you do so well?
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's the best gig you've ever played?

For me...............the best gigs are a full club of 400 cover-paying people present to see my current band................that is a big night.
    Successful for the band...................successful for the club and successful for the entire bar-staff.

My band-mates would choose the gig a few years ago at the state fair when we opened for 38 Special.................and sure, that was cool..............we were happy to get the gig.
    About 2000 people listening to our set -- BUT -- they certainly were not there to see us...............a lot of fun nevertheless.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

The best and most memorable gig I have had is playing the backroom at Maxwell's in Hoboken. The name of the band was Green Granny and the Secret Itch. The date was December 8, 1990. One of the reasons I remember it so well , is because two friends of mine video taped the show. Green Granny opened for Strange Cave, my brother's band. An incredible night of fun!

User Info Menu

Stone Pony about '74. Rocked the place. Really had no choice, it was a make or break gig.

User Info Menu

Not sure about which one we played the best at. I mostly remember the ones where nothing seemed to go right.

However, the most memorable;

We played an outdoor show for the clients and staff of the State Developmental Center in my home town. The clients are mostly (and severely) mentally and physically disabled...but they all LOVE music. I can't even explain how fantastic it felt to see the clients smile, their faces light up, get excited, vocalize, dance (or wiggle in their wheel chairs) and just enjoy life. During a break, we hosted a "talent show" where some of the clients would come up on stage and do something special, whether it was waving their arms, sing, tell jokes with their communicator board...whatever they could do to the best of their abilities. Then they would all clap and cheer for each other. It was profoundly moving...makes me choke up just remembering it now.

I'd play every weekend, for free, for a crowd like that. Money can't buy the feeling it gave us.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've played hundreds of gigs through the years (thousands?) ... I think the ones that have stood out the most are the ones where I played stuff that I didn't know I was capable of playing - to the point of feeling magical. I think it happens as a result of a real tight, rehearsed band where you've played together for awhile combined with always practicing and improving. Then you just let go and occasionally you'll have those nights that seem to play themselves. It's as if you're just a passenger on a vehicle propelled by magic. Hard to put in words.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    ....the ones where I played stuff that I didn't know I was capable of playing - to the point of feeling magical....Then you just let go and occasionally you'll have those nights that seem to play themselves. It's as if you're just a passenger on a vehicle propelled by magic. Hard to put in words.
    I think your words were spot-on
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not sure about which one we played the best at. I mostly remember the ones where nothing seemed to go right.

However, the most memorable;

We played an outdoor show for the clients and staff of the State Developmental Center in my home town. The clients are mostly (and severely) mentally and physically disabled...but they all LOVE music. I can't even explain how fantastic it felt to see the clients smile, their faces light up, get excited, vocalize, dance (or wiggle in their wheel chairs) and just enjoy life. During a break, we hosted a "talent show" where some of the clients would come up on stage and do something special, whether it was waving their arms, sing, tell jokes with their communicator board...whatever they could do to the best of their abilities. Then they would all clap and cheer for each other. It was profoundly moving...makes me choke up just remembering it now.

I'd play every weekend, for free, for a crowd like that. Money can't buy the feeling it gave us.
    I played a show a few weeks ago to raise money for girls who had to run away from Afganistan to be able to play music. We Skyped with them and they performed for us. It was amazing to see that even though they live on the other side of the world and have had a totally different life than me, we still love the same thing.
    - Chad Smith
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Stone Pony about '74. Rocked the place. Really had no choice, it was a make or break gig.
    I've been standing outside that fence my entire life. That place inspired me to play music. It's my dream to play there someday.
    - Chad Smith
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

I've played hundreds of gigs through the years (thousands?) ... I think the ones that have stood out the most are the ones where I played stuff that I didn't know I was capable of playing - to the point of feeling magical. I think it happens as a result of a real tight, rehearsed band where you've played together for awhile combined with always practicing and improving. Then you just let go and occasionally you'll have those nights that seem to play themselves. It's as if you're just a passenger on a vehicle propelled by magic. Hard to put in words.
    I believe it's those kinds of nights that keep you going.

all the best...

User Info Menu

We played a grand opening for a bike shop, in the beginning we had maybe 5 people and the owners were not happy at all. A close friend of mine showed up and he is a walking music encyclopedia and a pretty good singer. He jumped on the mic and we cranked out song after song after song. That 5 multiplied to 150 with people pressed against the outside window. We played 3 hours straight and was supposed to be done by 10pm. We encored for another hour. After the gig the owners thanked us and told us we could play there anytime. The band that was scheduled cancelled at the last minute and my guitar player was at the right place at the right time and booked us.

User Info Menu

About a year and a half ago we opened for Cody Johnson who is an amazing Texas-based country musician. He has something like 10 #1 hits on Texas Music Radio - around here he's a big deal. He's also getting some play on a few bigger mainstream stations.

Anyway, it was an outdoor gig with one of those huge trailer-type stages. Professional sound/engineer/etc. We were treated like royalty and got to meet and hang out with Cody and his band. The crowd was estimated to be about 2000 when we were on. Two hour set that went off perfectly.

Tex

User Info Menu

Back in 1981-82 my band opened for the British hardcore punk band, 999. They had a minor hit called "Homicide". We booked the gig with one phone call because the promoter somehow was under the impression that we had a PA that was big enough for the venue. We weren't getting paid and he thought was getting a free PA. In fact, he kicked another recording act, The Alley Cats, off the bill to make room for us. By the time he realized we didn't have the right PA, it was too late and he had to go out and rent a system. We were a new wave cover band and the venue was near where we all lived, so we brought quite a few people. It was a blast playing on a big stage with a killer sound system and lights. The crowd loved us, but the headliners were a bit perturbed.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    For me...............the best gigs are a full club of 400 cover-paying people present to see my current band................that is a big night.
    Successful for the band...................successful for the club and successful for the entire bar-staff.
    My band is, again, playing the best club in town this Friday night for a celebration of CINCO de MAYO.
    The weather forecast is 73 and sunny Friday and we are hoping for another great evening.

IMG_2148.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Interesting responses.......I think that the OP is asking at which gig you played the best.

For me, I hope that the best is yet to come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Interesting responses.......I think that the OP is asking at which gig you played the best.
    You are correct.....................but arguably, the thread title doesn't ask that.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

.....I think that the OP is asking at which gig you played the best.
    I think that's a hard question to answer...at least for me. I guess I just tend to remember how the band played as a whole, or how the audience responded. I used to worry more about how I played than how the band played as a unit. Now, I don't pay much attention to how I play individually. I do remember the feeling of those "magic" moments when everything seems to flow and you just let go and play, but I can't place it to a specific gig anymore.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Best gig ever was we got to open for Dream Theater when they toured with Fear Factory many years ago at the Rave in Milwaukee WI. It was also in the Eagles Ballroom which is the biggest stage around. Thousands of people it was a dream come true opening for my favorite band ever.

User Info Menu

I have played a lot of gigs, and there are some paying gigs that stand out, but some of my best times have been at open mic jams just throwing down with some close friends.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
    1) All of them. 2) If I didn't do well i.e. give 100%, I would have been back driving a oil truck. I always give 100%, even in all the dumb videos I put up, that, in reality, mean nothing.

As for the Stone Pony. It doesn't have the same "name power" as it did back in the day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
    This is the question that is being asked. NOT what is the best gig you ever played.

User Info Menu

This is the question that is being asked. NOT what is the best gig you ever played.
    Aren't they really one and the same?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Aren't they really one and the same?

all the best...
    Could be, but, not necessarily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think your words were spot-on
    Absolutely.............couldn't say it any better

User Info Menu

Could be, but, not necessarily.
    I originally was asking about which gig do you think you played the best but I'm enjoying reading all these answers. Keep them coming!
    - Chad Smith
    Joey Ramone