Thread: No Deja Vu

User Info Menu

Default No Deja Vu

I spent most of Friday and Saturday at the town I was stationed at in '66-'67. I went there because a girl I had a serious relationship with was supposed to live at the house she grew up in all those years ago. Needless to say, she doesn't live there, and hasn't for decades. Someone in the family still owns this house, which is up for rent but the only person who deals with it is a real estate agent that doesn't leave a way to get in touch with him/her.

I talked to a man that has lived there all his life (he is in his late 80's and watched her grow up). He told me that she did live there after being divorced years ago, but moved about 15 years ago.

That part is more or less normal. Things happen like that, but now comes the Twilight Zone.

Couldn't make the picture smaller. Photobucket??????????????

This is the girl I had the relationship with except for 1 thing, the picture isn't her. I was going through Photobucket a couple of years ago, when you could look at it like a family album. As I flipped through the "pages", I was hit (like with a baseball bat) because there was this picture of the girl from 51 (1966) years ago. If my stationary bike had not been behind me, I would have fell over in my chair. All of us, at 1 time or another have had the "I saw someone who looked like you" or things of that nature. This girl, whoever she is, is a mirror image of the girl from 51 years ago. I was set up by a couple of civilian friends to meet her the next night. I asked them "how will I know her", and they said, "don't worry, she'll find you".

The next night, I'm at the local hangout, (think Arnolds from Happy Days) and a white '61 Ford pulls into the parking lot and this girl gets out and looks around, but doesn't look at my car. She was the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen in all of my 19 years. (Yes I was young once and not a grumpy old guy) I figured she was looking for her boyfriend (girls that look like that usually have football players for BF's) or some friends, mainly because I figured I couldn't be that lucky. I was sitting in my car talking to a couple of guys from my base, but also watching out of the corner of my eye to see where she went. She started walking down the center sidewalk (about 6' wide and cars parked on both sides) and I thought that her boyfriend or friends were at the other end. Then she turned into the passenger side of my car, and I heard the door open. All I could think was "OMG, it's her". This is where the picture really hit me. She gets into my car, doesn't say a word and just looks at me, exactly like the look on the girls face in the picture. I know that she knew I was a "Yankee" which had a whole different meaning back then. She was a 7th or 8th generation Southern girl who had never been further north than Norfolk Va. She didn't say a word for 10-15 seconds while I was just getting lost in those big, brown eyes. Finally I get a little smile and she says, "So you're Rick, the guy from "Jersey", to which I was able to stutter out, "yeah, I'm him", while trying to keep my "Jersey cool", intact, which wasn't working all that well.

I've told 2 close friends the story, and 1 friend, my accountant/investor, asked me how I could remember everything from 51 years ago. (The whole thing started and ended in '66) I have a borderline photographic memory (so sayeth the Air Force when I was tested for what I was going to school for) so things, most of them not important, but they stick in your mind. At the same time, when you have what became my GF, you don't forget someone that looks like she did. (and yes, I heard every question from, "Yo, Rick, did you kidnap her", to "did you hide her glasses", and the 1 I heard most often, "how did YOU get THAT???")

I'll end this story right here because I know it's boring for all of you that get this far, and I'm not going to say how I self-destructed a great relationship because I don't need people to know exactly how much of a idiot I can be, which I go out of my way to keep hidden.

If I didn't go there, I probably wouldn't have written this, but it was such a weird feeling being at her house for the 1st time in 51 years, and wondering who the girl in the picture is. With the red hair, the fair skin, and those beautiful brown eyes, if I could take that girl back 51 years and put them side by side, their mothers couldn't tell them apart. Part of me still feels like I was in the Twilight Zone.

I stayed at the Hilton, not to be fancy, but because I got a Disabled Vet discount, which was a lot, and the fact that, while other hotels give you breakfast, you have to go out for lunch and dinner, the Hilton has room service so you can eat when you want and what you want, and everything I had was delicious. So, in the end, the difference in price was only about $25, so it was well worth it.

Now on to our regular programming.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 05-01-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: =====

User Info Menu

Default Re: No Deja Vu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'll end this story right here because I know it's boring for all of you that get this far, and I'm not going to say how I self-destructed a great relationship because I don't need people to know exactly how much of a idiot I can be, which I go out of my way to keep hidden.

Wasn't boring at all. Cool story.

However, don't worry, Rick. We know you're an idiot and we won't tell anyone.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That's an awesome story. I like hearing things like that...always reminds me of personal experiences. We all have those moments that we remember forever. I'd remember eyes like that too!
    Similar story;
    I ran into a young lady (early 20's) about 3 weeks ago at a gig. She was the spittin' image of my wife 25yrs ago. Same hair color, style, eyes, figure.....even wearing a sun dress almost identical to one my wife used to wear, AND, she had a small diamond piercing in her nose just like my wife. She talked like her & moved like her. It was effectively like an exact copy of my wife when she was 22. Then it hit me; if I had a daughter, she would be the same age and probably look like my wife. That kinda creeped me out.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Wasn't boring at all. Cool story.

However, don't worry, Rick. We know you're an idiot and we won't tell anyone.
    Bish, I know that you won't tell anyone, but did you have to tell me. Now I wonder if some village is missing me.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That's an awesome story. I like hearing things like that...always reminds me of personal experiences. We all have those moments that we remember forever. I'd remember eyes like that too!
    Similar story;
    I ran into a young lady (early 20's) about 3 weeks ago at a gig. She was the spittin' image of my wife 25yrs ago. Same hair color, style, eyes, figure.....even wearing a sun dress almost identical to one my wife used to wear, AND, she had a small diamond piercing in her nose just like my wife. She talked like her & moved like her. It was effectively like an exact copy of my wife when she was 22. Then it hit me; if I had a daughter, she would be the same age and probably look like my wife. That kinda creeped me out.
    I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that she is 69 years old and probably a grandmother. When I think of her, I see her as she was and not how she is now.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately we all change as we age and do not look like we did 50 years ago lol. I have seen old girlfriends that I dated back then and today some still have it and some have too much of it. Still brings back a lot of memory though of the good times as a teenager.

User Info Menu

I found that some that were "hot" back in the day have now become...."What happened?" where as some who were "overlooked" have blossomed nicely.

Or maybe my standards have plummeted?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Oh no Bish you are right. I remember some geeky looking girl with glasses and pony tails lol Then all of a sudden you see this beauty walking around the school in a mini skirt and nice long shiny hair and everyone says remember what's her face well that is the new her. Just trying to picture what she would look like today.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 05-03-2017 at 12:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I found that some that were "hot" back in the day have now become...."What happened?" where as some who were "overlooked" have blossomed nicely.

Or maybe my standards have plummeted?
    Your standards are fine as proven by Mrs Bish. It's her standards I wonder about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Oh no Bish you are right. I remember some geeky looking girl with glasses and pony tails lol Then all of a sudden you see this beauty walking around the school in a mini skirt and nice long shiny hair and everyone says remember what's her face well that is the new her. Just trying to picture what she would look like today.
    You're right Gilles, I remember those days. It did seem that between 6th and 7th grade is when the metamorphosis would happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Your standards are fine as proven by Mrs Bish. It's her standards I wonder about.

Me, too, my friend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Me, too, my friend.
    Check your PM's