Thread: Band Video Complaints???

User Info Menu

Default Band Video Complaints???

Earlier today, I posted 3 videos of my band to our FB page. The videos were taken by a band wife that was sitting on the other end of the dance floor. Within a half hour, I got a message from some chic that was at the show. She was upset that we posted a video showing her "half-drunk and dancing on a Saturday night...blah, blah, blah.....for the whole world to see". She complained that there was "no privacy left in the world".

Now.....Part of me wanted to reply, "If you want privacy, don't go to a public bar to get drunk and dance". I'm not sure, but I THINK a public bar is "fair game"....no different than a baseball game, graduation ceremony or stock car race. Lord knows, plenty of people in the crowd video us and post it on FB.

BUT, not only do I understand her embarrassment, I agree with her to an extent. Being in a band is "public relations", and I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable with anything we post. I messaged her back, apologized, explained our motive, thanked her for letting me know and I took the video down. She thanked me and said she just found it embarrassing. In actuality, I thought she was a great dancer, LOL.

I've decided that from now on;
    1) I'll always ask the bar owner if it's OK that we video in their place
    2) I'll make sure whoever takes the videos avoids shots of the crowd or dance floor...just the band.
    3) I'll be sure to announce to the crowd when we take videos.

I think these are fair and respectful steps to take. Has anyone else ran into this issue before?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band Video Complaints???

It's like this - we live in a world where there are camera's everywhere. If you don't want to be filmed doing something stupid, don't put yourself in a position to do something stupid. Too many security cameras, people with smart phones, camcorders, etc.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I've had further conversations with her on FB. She's very thankful. It appears the main issue was that she lives & works in a small town, and her job is with an organization that is "very strict" about employee behavior in AND away from work (church).
    I think I did the right thing, and I'm glad I could help her.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Very noble of you Brian, but the onus is on her. She can't hold you responsible for her stupidity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    She thanked me and said she just found it embarrassing. In actuality, I thought she was a great dancer.
    Elaine Benes ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That was actually the first thing I thought of, LOL. I was tempted to post a clip of Elaine dancing to our FB page just to jeer her. But, like I said, public relations, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

For anyone interested, here's a link to our FB page. You can watch the couple remaining videos of us doing some Blues. They're the ones with "Red Dog" in lights above the stage. You'll have to forgive my sloppy playing, but you can hear what $100 Sound Percussion drums, Wuhan cymbals and B8 hats sound like, LOL.

https://m.facebook.com/Corn-Cob-Bob-...?ref=bookmarks
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-01-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

This thread didn't turn out to be what I expected. Suffice it to say that most band video's aren't complimentary. Video doesn't lie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This thread didn't turn out to be what I expected. Suffice it to say that most band video's aren't complimentary. Video doesn't lie.
    Yep. One of the reasons I like to video our gigs is for our own progress. It's nice to post some (select) videos for advertising, but it's always nice to hear what the audience hears! I scrutinize all the places where we rush, drag, where guitars are stepping on each other or the vocals, dynamics, how my drums sound, places where I don't like the beat I played, etc.. it's a valuable tool, and gigs seem to reflect the true form more than practice. Unfortunately, if you listen to our videos, you'll see that we have no shortage of issues to work on, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Band video complaints? Yeah, I got one. YOU CAN'T SEE THE DRUMMER.

User Info Menu

Nice videos btw. Just watched them. I dig y'alls music choices.

User Info Menu

The few forums I'm on is the only "social media" I do. A couple years back we did a outdoor festival gig and my friends wife recorded us with her​ phone a posted on Facebook, Instagram, and so forth. I wasn't cool with it at first because it was our first gig together so I knew there were going to be problems and there were.
    I'm over it now and besides these days everyone is filming venues, audience members, band members etc. As far as the woman goes that was embarrassed, I think you did the right thing. I also agree with your disclaimer before/during the show that video is being recorded. That being said whoever is recording can film the audience, band, dance floor, etc. and hopefully no problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nice videos btw. Just watched them. I dig y'alls music choices.
    Thanks! We like most everything and don't want to limit ourselves, so we just do a little of everything. If something hits with the crowd, we try to milk it. I was disappointed that I had to pull the one video. It was an impromptu Georgia Satellites song (kinda cheesy) and not my favorite, but we did an acceptable job and the bar owner actually joined us on stage to sing it. He used to tour the Nashville circuit and did a good job on vocals. It would have been good for business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    The few forums I'm on is the only "social media" I do. A couple years back we did a outdoor festival gig and my friends wife recorded us with her​ phone a posted on Facebook, Instagram, and so forth. I wasn't cool with it at first because it was our first gig together so I knew there were going to be problems and there were.
    I'm over it now and besides these days everyone is filming venues, audience members, band members etc. As far as the woman goes that was embarrassed, I think you did the right thing. I also agree with your disclaimer before/during the show that video is being recorded. That being said whoever is recording can film the audience, band, dance floor, etc. and hopefully no problems.
    Yep. Wish I had a dime for every song we screwed up when I could see people in the audience taking videos with their phones, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yep. One of the reasons I like to video our gigs is for our own progress. It's nice to post some (select) videos for advertising, but it's always nice to hear what the audience hears! I scrutinize all the places where we rush, drag, where guitars are stepping on each other or the vocals, dynamics, how my drums sound, places where I don't like the beat I played, etc.. it's a valuable tool, and gigs seem to reflect the true form more than practice. Unfortunately, if you listen to our videos, you'll see that we have no shortage of issues to work on, LOL.
    Yeah, it's a good tool when used that way. I don't like when others post video (usually crappy cell phone based) on social media. Can't control it.