Thread: Tried out for a band yesterday...

User Info Menu

Default Tried out for a band yesterday...

...and I won't be going back for more.
    First of, the music were supposed to be funky, bluesy hardrock-ish rock but were more on the brit-pop side of music. Or like the Swedish band Cardigans if anyone still remembers them.

Second, the guitarplayer tried to play waaay over his capability. Off key and off time in virtually every song. That's another thing, we didn't finish a whole song in two hours of playing.

There were massive complaints on how loud I was playing even though I held back since I was banging on someone elses kit.

No future in that band for me...
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tried out for a band yesterday...

Good for you to recognize that right off. I always try to remember they are auditioning for me as well, joining the wrong band just to be in a band has burned me a few times.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Always remember (and you did) that when you go on an audition, it's a two way street. You should always be evaluating the ones evaluating you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    ................joining the wrong band just to be in a band has burned me a few times.
    I made that mistake only once.
    I quickly got out as soon as I realized it.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Always remember (and you did) that when you go on an audition, it's a two way street. You should always be evaluating the ones evaluating you.
    +1 Absolutely.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

It is better to be safe than sorry. You made the right choice if it does not feel right then it was never meant to be.

User Info Menu

sucks to hear but it's also good to see people out and about trying to find bands

User Info Menu

You did the right thing. I'm certain we have all turned gigs down before. I know I have. I've got to feel some chemistry with the guys I'm playing with, or I'm not playing a live gig with them.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Yeah well, it sucks bigtime since I really miss playing in a band.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

It's weird though, seems as if there always are some kind of issue with the bands I audition for.
    Lousy musicians, no practice-discipline, substance abuse, no structure in songs or rehearsels.
    Feels like I'm friggin' cursed

And when I try to start a band of my own, the phone/facebook/email are dead silent...
    Last edited by hellride; 05-05-2017 at 02:31 AM.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

It seems like it is a nightmare trying to get a band together these days for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with less musicians interested in forming bands because it is harder to find places to gig.

User Info Menu

It's never been easy. No different now than it was back in the day. It's still something that you have to really want to do and want to commit to because it isn't easy. If you're going to half arse it.........stay home.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 05-05-2017 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

I check Craigslist and few other sites that feature musician classifieds​. What I noticed a lot was a age restriction to join or audition for a band. For example 18-23, 21-30, I even seen 45-60. When did this become a big deal? My first band I was 20 my guitar was 22 and we picked up a bass player that was 39. As long as you can play your instrument does age really matter?

User Info Menu

i have somewhat of a craving to play some more hard edge stuff again and located a couple guys that are doing that and looking for a drummer. there's 2 things that crossed my mind about it though.

they'd be practicing at one of those rehersal places that would be shared with another band to keep costs down. Now there's a trust factor. i'm not going to leave my stuff and I don't want to be setting up n tearing down that much. Have done my share of that in the past and the thought of doing it now at 51yo sucks.

Number 2 the drive through Atlanta to get to one of these places isn't too appealing. Traffic here sucks on a good day. So I gotta weigh all this in.

RDM is fine no problems. We just have so much down time that I though about doing something on the side.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You lasted 2 hours , if it was that bad I would have walked out half way through the first song , I'm to old to give a toss these days , I moved city's 2 years ago and have walked out of many so called auditions , he'll at one after 2 songs I said , you know guys thanks but this ist for me , than 2 weeks later they sent me a email saying thanks for the audition but we have gone for someone else LMAO
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats