Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Soap Opera Drama

User Info Menu

Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

The previous version of this band could mix classic rock in with pop covers from the 80s and 90s and also a significant chunk of dance music to create sets that went over well at the venues we play...............this version of the band is, at least initially, selecting songs from our list that are the classic rock songs, since that is what we all seem to prefer.

We are going to need to pay attention to the construction of that song list to make certain the songs are what the clubs want, rather than reliance on the passion of the band members.
    It is always a challenge to find the correct mix of genre to make everyone happy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

It is a challenge. For me, I'd rather hang 'em up than play stuff that I don't want to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    It is a challenge. For me, I'd rather hang 'em up than play stuff that I don't want to play.
    No disagreement..................exactly why I quit gigging and did studio work for 10 years.
    I want to please the club and the dancers..................but also make it interesting for the band.
    One example:
    We play MIDNIGHT RENDEZVOUS by the Babys...............that song ends in A Major.
    The middle section of the Rush song, THE TREES is also in A Major.............so we would sneak in 90 seconds of syncopated Rush after playing a danceable rock song.
    At every gig there was always one or two Rush fans that would scream how much he loved the tune.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    so we would sneak in 90 seconds of syncopated Rush after playing a danceable rock song
    Cool. We do one where we start off with the intro to Metallica's "Enter Sandman" and then segway into Big and Rich's Ride A Cowboy lol ... really freaks 'em out ...

User Info Menu

That's what makes playing LIVE so much fun. Every once in a while we'll do the Beatles classic "Get Back" or Zeppelin's "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" with a Mandolin, Banjo, Fiddle, Acoustic guitar, Bass & Drums. Or we throw in the pedal Steel on some old Stones songs. I really think most people like to hear something different or unique once in a while. At least they remember you, even if they didn't like it, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We covered everything from Delaney and Bonnie (I don't want to discuss it) to Mott the Hoople's Violence to Meatloafs Bat Out of Hell to the James Gang's Tend my garden.

Have to go down to a 2nd post. What's with only 1 video per post? When did that happen?

User Info Menu

The 2 videos were among the most popular and most asked for a long time. Saga was not well know in the states, and Duke Jupiter was basically a 1hit wonder although we did 2 songs from the album. "I'll drink to you" was 1 and "Don't you look at me like that".

It's amazing how songs that were basically unknown could become some of the most requested songs we had.

User Info Menu

Had to break it up as you can only put 1 song per post. These were songs that stayed popular with us for decades.

"I'll drink to you" actually became a singalong in several clubs we played.

User Info Menu

Tonight is the debut rehearsal for the "new band".

Our structure is 5-pc..........basically.............bass, drums, lead singer and two guitars.
    I'm the only one that doesn't sing (for multiple reasons)..............of the other four, three are "lead-singer" quality and all have good harmony.
    Two of those three should sound amazing together with their high-tenor range that is so preferable for rock music; I suspect those two guys (lead singer and bassist) will carry quite a load on the vocals.

Collectively, there is over 100 years of live-gig experience with this bunch................all are really good, seasoned players.
    Both guitarists are fantastic with their own style..............and good together too...............both are happy to do whatever is needed.
    One of the guitarists also can play keys; the lead singer can also double up on needed simple parts for keys; so we have great options on instrumentation.

As discussed earlier in this thread, I'm thinking the only way to screw this up is to create a stupid set-list.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Sounds like you've got a great band to enjoy for a long time!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Sounds like you've got a great band to enjoy for a long time!
    Thank you Slingy.....................we all hope you are exactly right.
    We were all surprised at the turn of events of May 5th, but here we are on the 31st ready to start something even better.
    I confess, we are all of the age that we need to make this work..............for each other and for all of us collectively.
    There literally may not be another chance...............not like this.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian