Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 61

Thread: More Soap Opera Drama

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Hope it all works out. We are in the process of trying to find a new lead guitarist right now, so I know how the process feels.
    Six piece Mapex Horizon kit. Sabian B8X cymbals. Vater Drumsticks.


  2. #27

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    It's epic that you have options. Good luck and may the best bassist get the gigs!
    Signature here

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    A bass-player/vocalist auditions with us tonight..................this guy is good...............he is good at BOTH vocal ability and bass guitar...............I hope he is eager.
    The two guitar players and myself are considering changing out the lead vocalist as well -- we know a guy that has a truly gifted voice that will match very well with the bass player/vocalist that auditions tonight..................so it is possible there is so much riding on this jam tonight, that a whole new (very promising) band may erupt.
    Hopefully, one side benefit will be to see all the freaking drama go out the door.

    The vocalist we are considering worked with me in another band years ago -- he is an excellent high tenor with a HUGE range (think Journey tunes).................when he first came to the club to see my new (this) band, he was drooling wanting to be a part of it................he would be a great fit.
    He has been working with his son (guitar) to try and put a new band together but they can't seem to find the right people.
    I was amused to learn that he has had much difficulty finding a decent drummer........................HEY ! -- I know where one is.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    So, the female lead singer could be out the door?
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    So, the female lead singer could be out the door?
    It is a possibility......................it is just as likely that she remains...................we are not certain either way.
    That would be a MAJOR alteration in this band.
    We really like her as a person.................she is a good performer and a decent singer (with limited range).................if you keep her within her range, she sounds good.

    She has a long history with the guy that just screwed us when he quit; there appears (perhaps) to be more concern over him than the band.................I don't know.
    He supported her all along in this band so she may feel out of place now..................time will tell.
    I know that if any more drama creeps in, it is time to cut bait.

    We other three do not have a plan with certainty.................but we do have options to continue with a good band.
    And THAT is the important part of this.............there WILL be a remedy and there will be a quality sound one way or the other.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was married to Sybil so I know all too well about nut jobs. She hated what I did, but liked the money.
    I was married to Regan McNeil, yes the one from the movie. not fun not fun at all.

    I never talk about it because I try to forget that time of my life.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I was married to Regan McNeil, yes the one from the movie. not fun not fun at all.
    I get it -- she was HOT !
    That 360 head turn and the green drool.............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    UPDATE........................

    The auditioning bass player came over to the rehearsal studio last night...............well-prepared................good vocals and good playing of the bass guitar.
    Not particularly accurate on a couple of tunes but this is the first attempt................cut him some slack, so to speak.

    Discussion after the music and he wants to be a member of the band................all are in agreement.
    The current plan is to prepare for the booking we have in July and move forward with the female lead vocalist.
    We will see what progresses..............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Good to hear. Sounds like it will work out. My thought would be to start introducing a few songs that he can really showcase his vocals. The current lead singer could do awesome backups on a few...plus, it takes some pressure off her. If she ever decides to leave, you're still set and the door's wide open to change anything you want. Win-win.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Good to hear. Sounds like it will work out. My thought would be to start introducing a few songs that he can really showcase his vocals. The current lead singer could do awesome backups on a few...plus, it takes some pressure off her. If she ever decides to leave, you're still set and the door's wide open to change anything you want. Win-win.
    You have the same thoughts on strategy as we have...................along with one of the guitarists, the previous bassist was also a lead vocal on many songs so the female is the lead on 55% to 60% of all our songs on the current list. The new guy is coming back next week with 10 different songs -- we did 12 last night so he is showing he is an ambitious worker. At the end of the practice next week I'll ask him for a few songs that he knows he can slay (vocally) and we can begin to work those in.

    The gig is late July so counting last night we actually have 10 weekly rehearsals until that time.............that should be enough..............if not we will double up.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  11. #36

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    UPDATE........................

    The auditioning bass player came over to the rehearsal studio last night...............well-prepared................good vocals and good playing of the bass guitar.
    Not particularly accurate on a couple of tunes but this is the first attempt................cut him some slack, so to speak.

    Discussion after the music and he wants to be a member of the band................all are in agreement.
    The current plan is to prepare for the booking we have in July and move forward with the female lead vocalist.
    We will see what progresses..............

    Cool..............hope it works out

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Cool..............hope it works out
    Thanks longgun.
    Our bass player walked on us at midnight May 5th..........................by 9PM on the 17th, we had a very talented replacement.
    Don't you love efficiency ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    It all sounds awesome. Isn't there a little bit of excitement and anticipation of what could be now? Sometimes things like this can add new life! It's great that your female lead is sticking around. I would LOVE to have a good female vocalist that could add some soulful background vocals to stuff. Especially the Blues and Bluegrass stuff. If I could just find one that could pull off the background vocals on "Gimme Shelter"......
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I get it -- she was HOT !
    That 360 head turn and the green drool.............
    lol that's the one. I was with the adult version

    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  15. #40

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Update or the Update:

    Female vocalist is gone....................actually fired.
    Practice last night didn't go well and after the new bassist had gone home, everything hit the fan.

    We already have a lead singer lined up -- he is great and a guy I have previously worked with.
    All the players are seasoned pros and we have 8 weeks until the next gig -- I'm expecting a big improvement in the sound of this band.
    The problem is to try not to look like a bunch of old men................won't happen.
    We definitely are losing a great stage presence in the female..............she was a better performer than a singer and always looked good doing it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  16. #41

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Whoa. I'm guessing the added 'competition' up front for the microphone didn't go over too well. In any case, it sounds like y'all have a solid plan and line up in place. Best of luck with the new team.

    Tex

  17. #42

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Whoa. I'm guessing the added 'competition' up front for the microphone didn't go over too well. In any case, it sounds like y'all have a solid plan and line up in place. Best of luck with the new team.
    Thank you Tex.........the problem is the long friendship between the female lead and the original bassist..........apparently she is more concerned about that than the band moving forward...............the continued drama is a distraction..............the two guitarists decided to cut bait.
    At the time the band was formed, the bassist was not married..........he met and married his new wife in a short time period and apparently the long friendship with the band-mate was a point of contention.............I'm guessing here because I really don't know the facts. I very much appreciated what both of these people brought to the band but things change and it is time to move on..............we have an opportunity to build an even-better band and put the (surprisingly) negative vibe behind us.

    This new line-up is very strong but we will not have the pretty lady out front.
    All 5 members of this new group are experienced and seasoned pros...........we will be able to play anything from Chuck Berry to Yes............and all else in between.
    The new lead singer can sound like Steve Perry.......we are trying to figure out which Journey tunes we need to do.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  18. #43

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Glad to hear your machine is back on track and up to speed.

    Good luck!!!! Hope to hear some new recordings soon!
    Signature here

  19. #44

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Thanks longgun.
    Our bass player walked on us at midnight May 5th..........................by 9PM on the 17th, we had a very talented replacement.
    Don't you love efficiency ?
    Absolutely!

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    lol that's the one. I was with the adult version

    Damn brother.............I would be scared!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Update or the Update:

    Female vocalist is gone....................actually fired.
    Practice last night didn't go well and after the new bassist had gone home, everything hit the fan.

    We already have a lead singer lined up -- he is great and a guy I have previously worked with.
    All the players are seasoned pros and we have 8 weeks until the next gig -- I'm expecting a big improvement in the sound of this band.
    The problem is to try not to look like a bunch of old men................won't happen.
    We definitely are losing a great stage presence in the female..............she was a better performer than a singer and always looked good doing it.

    That was quick........................hopefully the new guy works out

  20. #45

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Glad to hear your machine is back on track and up to speed.
    Good luck!!!! Hope to hear some new recordings soon!
    Bish always has such a positive demeanor and knows what to say...............thank you.
    The band's new lead vocalist and the guy that sings all the songs on my CD are one and the same............we will be fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    That was quick........................hopefully the new guy works out
    I was in a band with this guy for 11 years.............1987 through 1998.............he is awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  21. #46

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The band's new lead vocalist and the guy that sings all the songs on my CD are one and the same............we will be fine.



    I was in a band with this guy for 11 years.............1987 through 1998.............he is awesome.
    Are you referring to the CD you sent me? That was outstanding. It's still in my CD player. My wife heard it and said I've gotten better.
    Signature here

  22. #47

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Wow. That's fantastic that you have that same guy from your CD back. He can DEFINITELY sing. Your in the cat-bird seat now. Plus, you have more experience and are more established in your lives now. Everyone can be on the same page and focused in the same direction. You have an open journey ahead and can take whatever route you want. Time to show everyone what a bunch of "old & experienced" guys can do!
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  23. #48

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow. That's fantastic that you have that same guy from your CD back. He can DEFINITELY sing. Your in the cat-bird seat now. Plus, you have more experience and are more established in your lives now. Everyone can be on the same page and focused in the same direction. You have an open journey ahead and can take whatever route you want. Time to show everyone what a bunch of "old & experienced" guys can do!
    You got a CD, too?
    Signature here

  24. #49

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Are you referring to the CD you sent me? That was outstanding. My wife heard it and said I've gotten better.
    LOL !!!
    I believed you up until the final comment.....................haha.


    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow. That's fantastic that you have that same guy from your CD back. He can DEFINITELY sing. Time to show everyone what a bunch of "old & experienced" guys can do!
    Absolutely !
    Here are the first 10 songs selected to begin practice as a new band next Wednesday eve....................

    Coming of Age
    Dirty White Boy
    Never Been Any Reason
    Run to You
    Summer of 69
    Midnight Rendezvous
    Every Time I Roll
    Too Much Time on My Hands
    Lights
    Send Her My Love
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  25. #50

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: More Soap Opera Drama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Absolutely !
    Here are the first 10 songs selected to begin practice as a new band next Wednesday eve....................

    Coming of Age
    Dirty White Boy
    Never Been Any Reason
    Run to You
    Summer of 69
    Midnight Rendezvous
    Every Time I Roll
    Too Much Time on My Hands
    Lights
    Send Her My Love
    Nice selection. Personally, I like all of those. One of the things that has become a bit of a struggle around here is that venues are slowly moving away from "classic rock" and to bands that provide more contemporary offerings. More contemporary defined as music from the 2000's.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •