Thread: Tune Bot

User Info Menu

Default Tune Bot

On a whim I picked one of these up. I tune by ear in general, although I had a drum dial I found it cumbersome.

Let me tell you the tune bot works and really speeds up tuning. It helps you fine tune after tuning by ear, but you can also lookup lug frequencies to tune the whole kit from scratch.

Makes matching top and bottom easy too.

Kit sounds amazing.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tune Bot

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    On a whim I picked one of these up. I tune by ear in general, although I had a drum dial I found it cumbersome.

Let me tell you the tune bot works and really speeds up tuning. It helps you fine tune after tuning by ear, but you can also lookup lug frequencies to tune the whole kit from scratch.

Makes matching top and bottom easy too.

Kit sounds amazing.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've had mine for a little while and I haven't really messed w/it too much yet. I'll have to do what you did and use it for the fine tuning aspect part.

User Info Menu

I've always wondered about these... You should do a video

User Info Menu

Got one a year ago and I think it's great. Tuning by ear is great 1. if you're good at it, or 2. You're a purist. I'm neither and I'm into getting the job done quickly and this thing delivers. The Tunebot is not a gimmick for those that "can't tune the real way". I find it gets me 95+% of the way there and the last tiny tweak with the key brings my tuning as close to prefect as I have ever had. From tone to sustain to spacing - I may have had my toms sound just as good without it, but never better and certainly not as consistently nor as quickly. Keeping everything in tune is super quick too - just throw this thing on a tom, check the tuning, tweak a rod, and move to the next one. I can check 5 toms in a couple minutes and get tuning back to spot-on.

It's not as effective on the kick (I think that's easier to tune anyway) or snare (super tight tunings can give the Tunebot heartburn).

I find it interesting how quick it is to achieve different levels of sustain but retain the same tuning just by using a different set of tuning numbers. Of course that can be done without the Tunebot as well but not nearly as fast. Kind of fun to check the tunings other drummers use (the website lists tunings of a number of pros) and try those out too.

Good tool for $70.

User Info Menu

FYI: Drum Bum has the original, higher-quality Tunebot. They offer free shipping and a free gift upon purchase. If you want to support the costs of running this forum, please patronize them.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-262.html
    tunebot.jpg

User Info Menu

i got one a few years back , they work a treat and fine tuning is where they fully shine

i have since past it on to friend that occasionally does studio tuning and a causal job and he uses it a lot

User Info Menu

I bought one..............seemed to work well, but I never use it.

I'm a sucker for gadgets

User Info Menu

I bought one not long after they were introduced. I still use it. There was a learning curve. I find it responds better to smaller toms. With larger toms I move it around the rim for more accurate readings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    FYI: Drum Bum has the original, higher-quality Tunebot. They offer free shipping and a free gift upon purchase. If you want to support the costs of running this forum, please patronize them.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-262.html
    tunebot.jpg
    Thanks for the link! I just ordered one of these from Drum Bum ...

I tried the Tune Bot Gig and liked it so much that I decided to purchase the higher quality, full featured version shown above. I find these things really useful, for me at least ...

User Info Menu

I may pick one up I ave the drum dial and it works for me but I would like the drum bot as well
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.