Thread: Some People.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Some People.....

Shouldn't be allowed within 50' of power tools...OR a drum, LOL.

I received the 18" Ludwig 3-ply floor tom that I bought off EBay. The seller stated that it was originally a Mach (long) lug shell, but he had drilled it to accept small classic lugs. I was going to re-install Mach lugs, BUT, Ludwig made 5 different versions (who'd of thought) and none of the ones I have or can find will fit. The shell already looks like Swiss cheese, so I decided to give up on the Mach lug idea and just go with mini classic lugs on the entire project kit. So....I removed the lugs to strip the wrap and found this;
    IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg

Seriously? A kindergartner with a pic-axe could have done a better job. Really...if you're gonna add holes to a vintage drum shell, fine. AT LEAST buy a tape measure, straight edge and the proper size drill bit, LOL. It's not rocket science.

I can (and will) fix it. I'll plug the extra factory holes with pieces of hardwood dowel rod. Luckily, they used one of the existing factory holes for the top of each mini lug. That will keep the lugs stable enough. But, these "self drilled" holes that are egg shaped or out of alignment will be tough, if not impossible, to fix. I'll probably end up filling the extra space around each bolt boss with epoxy putty. Or, I may end up moving the lugs closer to the rim and drilling one new hole for each lug. Either way, it's a lot of work.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Some People.....

That would be me.

User Info Menu

is that drum heavy? I helped a drummer move some of his stuff off stage once and later mentioned something about the weight and he said they were 3 ply shells. I think but not sure his were Slingerlands
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ouch, that's black sin right there. Good luck with it. Don't forget the 'after' pics...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    is that drum heavy? I helped a drummer move some of his stuff off stage once and later mentioned something about the weight and he said they were 3 ply shells. I think but not sure his were Slingerlands
    Pretty lightweight, compared to modern shells

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Ouch, that's black sin right there. Good luck with it. Don't forget the 'after' pics...
    Yep. The only "good" thing is that I can't really screw it up or hurt the value... which is nice.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That is a job that Tim the tool man would do lol.

User Info Menu

wow lol

sorry to see

User Info Menu

Wood putty/filler is your friend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Wood putty/filler is your friend.
    The good thing is they used one existing factory hole. That alone will help keep the lugs located. After thinking about it, I believe I'll plug the extra holes then wrap the shell. Then, I'll carefully locate and punch the holes in the wrap. The idea is that a tight fitting hole in the wrap will keep the lug boss located properly, regardless of the size & shape of the hole in the wood. I can then set the lug in place and fill the extra gap in the wood from the inside of the shell with filler/epoxy putty. The wrap will act as a backstop for the filler. Once it dries, the filler will then act as a "bushing" of sorts in the oversized holes. It will be plenty strong and you'll never see the repair. It's just gonna be a lot more work than I anticipated.

This will be a "players" kit anyway. I'm not concerned about originality or value. More of a modern, customized kit utilizing vintage ply shells.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Well, I hate to say it, but in the days before I had good tools and lots of experience under my belt, I used to complain about the butcher jobs that previous owners had done on shells - and then proceeded to screw it up even worse with my own handiwork. There are probably people out there right now who are cursing me for mangling a perfectly good shell!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Some people shouldn't even be allowed to LOOK at power tools.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Some people shouldn't even be allowed to LOOK at power tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    or touch power tools for safety reasons.
    The ironic part is that I'm fairly handy with power tools, but probably shouldn't be allowed to hold a pair of sticks or even sit behind a drum kit.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

or touch power tools for safety reasons.

User Info Menu

Some folks can't even a cut hole without doing some serious damage. '66 Ludwig 3 ply bass drum:

Last edited by late8; 09-06-2017 at 12:01 PM.

User Info Menu

a dartboard drum?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN