Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home studio/drum room

User Info Menu

Default Home studio/drum room

After speaking with my wife, it is time to move things out of the house. I have decided to purchase one of those premade buildings that various companies are selling, and will turn it into a home studio/drum room. I have found one that is 14x20 that I'm considering, but may go a bit larger if it is in my budget. I will have it wired up, insulated, etc once I get it.

I know several here have drum rooms/studios. Has anyone gone this route? If so, what all should I consider before I go make this purchase?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Home studio/drum room

Consider that your wife may never see you again and if that's okay with her.

User Info Menu

She will probably be out there with me, lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I assume you're talking the wood tool/storage yard shed? You might check your local building codes to see what (if any) permits are required. Ordinarily, I don't worry about permits & codes for a non-permanent structure. But, if you have it wired and have the potential for annoying the neighbors with sound, it would be a good idea to cover your bases. Also maybe check with your home owners insurance...just in case of a tornado, fire or storm damage. You want to make sure the contents are covered.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I don't know what the biggest 1 is, but I would get 1 that will allow you to insulate the hell out of it and still give you the room that you want inside. The last thing you want is to put a decent amount of $ into it and find out that the neighbors can hear the drums and you wind up limited on how much time you can play.

User Info Menu

I live in the country. No code issues, and very few neighbors lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I don't know what the biggest 1 is, but I would get 1 that will allow you to insulate the hell out of it and still give you the room that you want inside. The last thing you want is to put a decent amount of $ into it and find out that the neighbors can hear the drums and you wind up limited on how much time you can play.
    A friend of mine,a guitar player put one beside his two story house years ago. He decked it out pretty nice. He put A/C in it, ceiling fan, double pain windows,it even has a loft for storage. It's well insulated and nice carpet. Those things are really cool! Textured walls and everything!

User Info Menu

I considered one myself they were on sale at Sam's club for about $900-. Forgot how wide it was but was enough room for drums and storage. Had a couple of windows and plenty of clearance, a major flaw was that it was plastic even the door. My biggest concern is security, and making sure it well protected.

User Info Menu

"My biggest concern is security, and making sure it well protected"

Claymores work well.

User Info Menu

I guess getting an out building is less expensive than getting rid of the wife. Having said that, my only advise would be to not underestimate the amount of room you'll need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I guess getting an out building is less expensive than getting rid of the wife. Having said that, my only advise would be to not underestimate the amount of room you'll need.
    Good advice.
    It could work out to be a band rehearsal room in the future...............you'll need even more room.
    Avoid the metal buildings..............too flimsy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

There's a lot of these "portable" garage/shed/cabins around here. Seems like every used car lot or lumber yard is selling them in different configurations. People use them for hunting cabins or they buy a couple acres in the country and set them up as a weekend cabin.
    IMG_0963.jpg

I would want a set of insulated double wide doors, facing an open area that you can back a truck up to. That way, if you use it for a band practice area, it's easy to load equipment in and out.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If I had the land room I would definitely do my own drum/music studio not in the house.

No matter how much insulating and sound padding I've use it's just so loud in the house.
    Doing a separate place would be killer.

Once I saw this guy dig out his back yard and burry a shipping container and turned it into the ultimate man pad.
    I thought about trying that as a drum pad. . . use the ground and a natural sound barrier! haha

User Info Menu

That would make a great tornado shelter as well. Dig back into the side of a hill so the entrance is at ground level. Makes for a great thermal barrier as well as sound.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

The old shipping sea containers converted to houses, shops, offices, and etc. is starting to catch on here on the west coast. Real big in Europe and Australia and now here in the States. These might be great for a studio, padding, ventilation, insulation and a power source. Those things are air and water tight.

User Info Menu

My building will be delivered next week. I got a 10 foot wide by 18 foot long building. It's also lofted, so I have some extra storage room. It will be delivered next week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    My building will be delivered next week. I got a 10 foot wide by 18 foot long building. It's also lofted, so I have some extra storage room. It will be delivered next week.
    Cool...........congrats.........let's see some pics when you get it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Cool...........congrats.........let's see some pics when you get it!
    Will do. First big chore is getting it wired up and some insulation and interior walls in it.

User Info Menu

Congrats can't wait to see

User Info Menu

Sounds like the beginning to a fun and informative venture. Keep up posted. We want to hear the good and the bad.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

We've been dealing with rain, so it took a few extra days to get it delivered, but it is here. I like the double doors because I can back right up to them and load everything up and go. Now to get it wired up and finished out on the inside!

Barn1.jpg

Barn2.jpg

Barn3.jpg

User Info Menu

That will work..................and it is 10X18 ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    it is 10X18 ?
    Yes

User Info Menu

So you're in there playing and it's all closed up, what are you going to do for fresh air? Maybe a couple exhaust fans to create air flow? Or do you think that won't be an issue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    So you're in there playing and it's all closed up, what are you going to do for fresh air? Maybe a couple exhaust fans to create air flow? Or do you think that won't be an issue?
    Wear a gas mask and turn on the heat baby!