Thread: Elvis -- 40 Years

User Info Menu

Default Elvis -- 40 Years

Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977...................40 years ago today.
    I remember well watching TV with friends in Texas and the breaking news popped up.............dead at age 42.
    He died at Graceland in the bathroom upstairs; I've done the Graceland tour (highly recommended) three times and even though the upstairs section of the home is still considered a "private family area", it is eerily dramatic to look up that staircase as you walk from the living room into the dining area.

This is a drummer's forum so I will certainly give a shout-out to DJ Fontana (now age 86) who was "the man" at the kit for so many years and almost all of the great Elvis hits. The photo below is DJ and Elvis in the studio recording Jailhouse Rock:

jailhouse-rock-sessions-april-30-1957[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Elvis -- 40 Years

the tour is good i recommend it too. they've gotten rid of his 2 planes that were in the back or across the street. but they were neat to see. Would like to go again sometime
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the tour is good i recommend it too. they've gotten rid of his 2 planes that were in the back or across the street. but they were neat to see. Would like to go again sometime
    I took (Christmas) guests to Graceland last December; the planes were still there at that time..................along with all the cars, motorcycles, concert outfits, and of course, the jungle room.
    I think the most impressive part of the tour is the Hall of Gold -- all of the gold records displayed down a long hallway..................amazing...............

865282[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977...................40 years ago today.
    I remember well watching TV with friends in Texas and the breaking news popped up.............dead at age 42.
    He died at Graceland in the bathroom upstairs; I've done the Graceland tour (highly recommended) three times and even though the upstairs section of the home is still considered a "private family area", it is eerily dramatic to look up that staircase as you walk from the living room into the dining area.
    The sheer look of joy with the King sitting on the throne.

User Info Menu

He's still alive you know. He's my next door neighbor and goes by "Bob" now. I wasn't supposed to say anything so please keep this to yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    He's still alive you know. He's my next door neighbor and goes by "Bob" now. I wasn't supposed to say anything so please keep this to yourself.
    Bob? Is he a Pastor now?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Bob? Is he a Pastor now?
    You may be onto something here; both in Tennessee.....................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

"Cousin Brucie" Morrow used to call him "Elbow Parsely".

User Info Menu

My wife calls him "Elvis the Pelvis"or "Elvis Pelvis" lol

User Info Menu

Hope to visit there when I go to Memphis, possibly next year.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Visited Graceland a few years ago. Seemed a bit cheesy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Cousin Brucie" Morrow used to call him "Elbow Parsely".
    I saw that once in Mad Magazine!

all the best...

User Info Menu

The cheesier the better! The whole Elvis thing is a bit cheesy, and yet such an integral part of American musical history.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Hope to visit there when I go to Memphis, possibly next year.
    Wish I could be there to give you the big tour:
    Graceland -- Sun Records -- Memphis Drum Shop.....................all are remarkable.
    And when the day is over you head to Beale Street to the Blues City Café, where you will enjoy the best rib dinner on the planet as you watch and listen to authentic Memphis blues musicians.................it is worth the visit.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Visited Graceland a few years ago. Seemed a bit cheesy.
    Ever seen an Elvis movie ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

There is a photo of the casket with several floral arrangements around it. One if the arrangements is shaped like a guitar. My uncle made that and sent it, and it ended up by the casket. Once word got around that he made that arrangement his career really kicked off, and he made a very good living for himself. He's now enjoying retirement and is still well off.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals