Thread: Knee pain/ kick drum technique

User Info Menu

Default Knee pain/ kick drum technique

So...I'm having knee pain. And I've narrowed it down to drumming as the cause. It's on the inside of my knee, and sometimes after drumming it feels like the joint needs to pop.

I play heel up, and I notice that I have a lot of tension in my calf and hamstrings when I'm playing. Could that be the cause - too much tension in those muscles? I don't know if it's normal to have those muscles tighten a lot in the midst of playing or whether that's actually a technical flaw.

I appreciate any help - I can't deal with the thought of not being able to play because of this.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Knee pain/ kick drum technique

If you are new to playing drums it should be considered a normal part of the learning curve, or poor technique. If you have been playing for a long time , and this is a new problem---go see your doctor!

User Info Menu

Try stretching before you play it might help to relax the muscle and loosen up. If the problem does continue go get it checked out.

User Info Menu

Mess around with you drum seat height . Your seat (stool) should be solid and not wiggle or rock when you play .
    As Goro said stretching before and after you play is always good .
    It's hard to give advice without seeing how you sit and play but try these things and hopefully you'll get some relief .
    Good luck and give updates .

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses thus far!

My gut is that I have a technique issue with what muscles I'm using. I've been trying to look stuff up to see if I'm actually supposed to be using my hamstrings while playing (as opposed to the top of the thigh to raise the leg).

I have played around with seat height some - I seem to prefer a higher throne that may even have me at greater than a 90 degree angle. I think the more problematic variance from 90 degrees is to go LESS than 90, but I'm definitely not an expert.

I've been playing for about a year now, so not a total newbie but definitely not a seasoned vet.

User Info Menu

Don't go less than 90 degrees.