Thread: Opinions wanted on two different sets

User Info Menu

Default Opinions wanted on two different sets

Hi to all! I'm new to the forum..and to drumming in general....and look forward to learning tons of new things. So...thanks for having me.

I had the opportunity in the past couple months to get a inexpensive Pearl Export 5 piece set with all the less than stellar cymbals..stands..pedals..etc...for only $200. Being obsessive as I am...I have upgraded all the heads..cymbals...hardware..pretty much everything except the shells. Well..being self employed...I have had quite a bit of time to practice....and absolutely love the concept and the high that I get when I learn new methods...fills....styles..etc. I see the improvement..every time I play..which is pretty darn exciting.

Did I say that I was obsessive?? I have been considering a Tama Starclassic Performer Bubinga/birch set. Not really positive that i need a snare..as I just dropped $400 on an Tama SLP Bubinga....and LOVE it. So what I am thinking about is a 4 piece kit with 10 -12" mounted Toms, 16" floor tom and a 22" kick.

ALSO....

There is a Gretsch Renown Blue Metal kit that was put on the floor of a Guitar Center in my area for $924. It is a 5 piece set...and it is the old style (pre-2016) where the kick drum is a virgin. The toms are stand mounted vs. a mount drilled into the top of the kick. The drum set is in excellent shape and seems to even have the original heads that it came with. It has a 10/12/14" tom....and a 22" kick...and the snare is included as well.

I have never played the Tama set...cuz' the stores around here will not carry anything but entry level sets. I have HEARD that they are great...but that is from the guys trying to sell it to me. Therefore...I need an unbiased opinion from anyone that may have heard these drums in action, What is your opinion. I can save myself a few hundred dollars if I get the used set....and I do like the color. The Gretsch kit is just stacked up on the floor...so all I could do is just pick one up and give it a smack or two...so it's hard to really tell. The cool thing..they have that 45 day exchange policy...so if I don't like it...I can bring it back. However...I hate abusing policies...so I'd rather be sure about the set.

Ok....any opinions would be greatly appreciated on the quality or your subjective view on the sound of these two drum sets. I love a nice thud when I hit the Toms...which I should be able to get with some Remo Pinstripes and an emperor reso. (hopefully) The kick on the Gretsch sounds amazing...so I'm sold on that. Just throw some opinions my way if you all can! It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Opinions wanted on two different sets

Welcome to the forum!

If I were you, this would be a no brainer. The Tama Starclassic Performer kit would win hands down. And this is no diss toward the Gretsch kit. I've played both kits, and had the opportunity to assemble a few of the Tama kits when I still worked in a music store. But even a cursory examination of the Tama kit will reveal the reason that it is more expensive. The shells are impeccable; the lugs and other hardware are top notch; the tuning range and ease of tuning is first class. Did I mention hoops and mounting system? Finishes? Resale value?

Buy the Tama kit and step into the world of professional drum series. It may be the last kit you ever buy. It's that good.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

^I agree. I'd do the Tama myself

User Info Menu

Starclassics are great shells.
    But if you prefer the Gretsch Renowns, those are also very good..................either way, you can't go wrong..................always check the bearing edges.
    The Renowns are built for drummers that choke when they realize the price of the USA Customs.
    I promise, with the options of head selection, almost any experienced drummer at this forum can make either one of those kits sound like the best set you've heard.

Another hint: there are sales out there right now with NEW Renown 4-pc. shell packs going for $999.............so $924 is currently not so good.
    I would print at least two of those from the web and go to GC to get the used set for a better price................like $600 is what I would want to offer.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm a DW guy so I have no dog in this fight. Both are good, professional kits, but my choice would be the Starclassic. I just like the way they look and sound. Another big factor for me is the 16" vs 14" FT. I just can't find a love for a 14.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

I'm not biased. I've owned both.

I sold the Gretsch Renowns but kept all 3 Starclassics.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

the tama is a little bit more versatile from my experience

all the renowns i have played are all trash boxes but not the Pearls of Tamas ..not sure what says about the kits longevity or about backline companies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat.

I'm not biased. I've owned both.

I sold the Gretsch Renowns but kept all 3 Starclassics.
    This, although just one Starclassic kit.

The Starclassic B/B is unbelievably versatile and sound amazing.

If you have an SLP snare, look for a used SC. I got mine for like $800 (4 pc config you mentioned) and it was only slightly used. Maybe save a search on Reverb and see what's out there. Mine was from a Sam Ash store in FLA (and I'm in CT).
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle