Thread: Band calling it quits...

User Info Menu

Default Band calling it quits...

Well, I'm bummed.

Our band leader/lead guitarist announced that the band is breaking up after a great 3 year run together. He and the lead singer (who started this together) met and discussed this - both agreed that this had run its course.

Although we are doing quite well - getting consistent nice gigs, fan base, etc. it never took off to the point they wanted it to. Ultimately their goals were to become a solid regional touring band and both had quit their day jobs to make it happen. We released three singles to Texas radio stations and even hit a top 50 with our last, but it just hasn't panned out like they wanted. Both of them have gone back to work full time now.

It's a tough pill to swallow for me because it was the perfect situation from my standpoint. I freaking love playing drums for Fools of the Trade. Good guys, good music, good times. It's hard for me to imagine finding another group of solid, grounded, ego-free musicians to play with.

On a positive note...we are ending on excellent terms and all are still friends. I think that in itself is uncommon today.

So with that, we have four gigs left this summer. We cancelled nine and kept four over the course of the summer. August 12th...we're done.

Tex

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band calling it quits...

Sorry to hear. I saw the announcement on your FB. With all the bands dissolving because of personality issues, it's sad to see a successful one break up. I guess I don't understand why they couldn't continue like the rest of us. Just have fun and play 1 or 2 gigs per month? Music is in the blood. It won't stay dormant.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree with N2B...................stay with it as a side gig...................why live without when you have a good group of people that share the love of music and gigging ?
    Building the brand and the fan-base is hard work -- can't just throw it away.

I'm going through some changes with band personnel right now and it exposes the negatives certain people have with the band situation.....................it is a risky time.
    Most of us in the band know that, at our age, we may never have any more opportunities as good as this is now.................so we just keep working.
    We gave up on making a business of it many moons ago -- many bands ago.
    We have fun........................if it stops being fun, I suppose we get out then.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I am so sorry to hear. Sounds like you guys were so close!! Can't believe they won't push just a little further.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Sorry to hear. I saw the announcement on your FB. With all the bands dissolving because of personality issues, it's sad to see a successful one break up. I guess I don't understand why they couldn't continue like the rest of us. Just have fun and play 1 or 2 gigs per month? Music is in the blood. It won't stay dormant.
    Thanks Brian. And I think you hit the nail on the head with the "Music is in the blood" comment. Unfortunately, I don't think it's as 'in the blood' with a couple the other guys. I am perfectly happy as a weekend warrior. But for some people it's an 'all or nothing' thing -- and well, I respect that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I agree with N2B...................stay with it as a side gig...................why live without when you have a good group of people that share the love of music and gigging ?
    Building the brand and the fan-base is hard work -- can't just throw it away.

I'm going through some changes with band personnel right now and it exposes the negatives certain people have with the band situation.....................it is a risky time.
    Most of us in the band know that, at our age, we may never have any more opportunities as good as this is now.................so we just keep working.
    We gave up on making a business of it many moons ago -- many bands ago.
    We have fun........................if it stops being fun, I suppose we get out then.
    With everything in me, I agree with what you said. Practice once a week and gig once/twice a month. We could have easily fallen into this and been able to be selective about which gigs we took. But again, see my response to Brian's comment...

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I am so sorry to hear. Sounds like you guys were so close!! Can't believe they won't push just a little further.
    Thanks Spaz. It still hasn't fully sunk in. I told my wife tonight over dinner that I think I'm getting more bummed about this as I process it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Practice once a week and gig once/twice a month..............be selective about which gigs we took.
    You have just described my band with exact accuracy...........................and I love it.........................not too much -- not too little.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Ah, that's too bad. Try to find another project.

User Info Menu

Bands are just like life really. They're born, they live, and then they die. Life expectancy generally about 5 years.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Well, looks like I'm late again. Randy, I'm just getting caught up and found that you guys just finished your last gig (8/12). Man, it sure was a good run. I remember when you joined the band three years ago and I've been following your posts and have envied your success. You've built a good solid reputation as drummer and I know you'll bounce back with a new band and you'll find new challenges to conquer. This is just a tiny bump in the road for you. I wish you all the best!

Rich

User Info Menu

Thanks Rich. Definitely a bummer but I understand the leader's reasons. In any case, we are ending on great terms and have agreed to get together for an informal 'jam' session every 6 weeks or so. I appreciate the nice compliments from you as well - they mean a lot.

Randy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Thanks Rich. Definitely a bummer but I understand the leader's reasons. In any case, we are ending on great terms and have agreed to get together for an informal 'jam' session every 6 weeks or so. I appreciate the nice compliments from you as well - they mean a lot.

Randy
    You're high class! Good luck Randy!

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. It's no fun when a band that you enjoy playing in splits up. My new band is definitely higher profile than my old band, but I still miss playing with those guys.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Best of luck in the future...hope things work out

User Info Menu

sorry to hear. RDM is having to work through something right now. That's one reason i've been kind of inactive here. Not a whole lot to talk about. But just trying to work through it.

I like playing out .. but... I like just recording more. To me that's more fun. Too many times playing out has been such a big waste of time.

Nobody ever seems to go out anymore.
    Last edited by slinky; 08-16-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Good luck Randy, I enjoyed your video that you posted a while back and your band was really tight. It is sad they had to break up.