Thread: A cover???????

User Info Menu

Default A cover???????

1st) I know that all of the people on DC have been waiting for me to do a cover. Well, maybe not all, but quite a few. Well maybe not quite a few, but a few. Actually, 1 1/2 people have been waiting. The 1 1/2 is a guy and his dog.

2) I wish I could say I was happy with it, but I'm not. I blew timing a couple of times when I couldn't hear the song.

3) When I listen through my headphones, I couldn't hear the drums good, but when I listened through my speakers, I could hear them just fine.

4) Tonight I'm going to try something different. Being I have 2 mixers, I'm going to run the song through 1 mixer and the drums through the other, then into the Zoom Q-8, which is how I did this cover. That should give me total control over the volume of the drums with the song.

5) The reason I'm laughing is because I almost went to a left hand lead. As far as the drums went, I had 4-5 different ways that I would play "Go Your Own Way" depending on where we were playing.

6) Criticize to your hearts content. Just remember that I've had a triple by-pass so go easy. On the other hand, I have a 2017 Mustang GT, so blast away.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A cover???????

Been waiting for a cover, not a bad job. I could not hear the bass drum at all, and also felt a little bit of overplaying and there were some timing issues but those may just be the video to audio lag that I always get as well. I could really see all of your other video's in this cover. Love the fill from 4:21 to 4:29, man that was really cool and the timing was spot on. My only suggestion is try to lower your throne a little, you seem to be sitting very high, almost looks like your right leg is dang near standing but that may be the camera angle or you may just prefer that position. I need to get some balls and post a few myself. : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Very nice cover. I was just playing this song earlier today! I grew up with Fleetwood Mac. I hope to see more covers in the future Rick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Been waiting for a cover, not a bad job. I could not hear the bass drum at all, and also felt a little bit of overplaying and there were some timing issues but those may just be the video to audio lag that I always get as well. I could really see all of your other video's in this cover. Love the fill from 4:21 to 4:29, man that was really cool and the timing was spot on. My only suggestion is try to lower your throne a little, you seem to be sitting very high, almost looks like your right leg is dang near standing but that may be the camera angle or you may just prefer that position. I need to get some balls and post a few myself. : )
    I played that song several different ways depending where we were playing and the crowd we were playing to. I threw a lot of things in this 1 so I could get a idea of what volume to keep the drums at. Could you hear the drums OK?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Very nice cover. I was just playing this song earlier today! I grew up with Fleetwood Mac. I hope to see more covers in the future Rick.
    Thanks Mike. Until I get the balance right, you're going to hear this cover a lot. I don't want to bother working on a different song until I get the sound where I want it.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 05-19-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: =====

User Info Menu

Not bad Rick... and what a killer song! Brought back many great memories.

User Info Menu

Yes I could hear all the drums except the bass drum
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Well it's about darn time.

Very nice my friend! LOVED some of the fills - deeply locked into the guitar riff/strum pattern.

I also couldn't hear the kick, but dang that was fun to watch. As MDK said, I too could hear your solos in this cover. Very cool!

Great choice in music. I literally just walked in from my drum room where I was working on 'The Chain', on bass guitar.

Keep 'em coming...

Tex

User Info Menu

I thought it was very good on the fly like that.
    I found this that I would have practiced a little first if I were to attempt it.

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree will eveyone that you did a great job and the drums sounded great man. I always like that X cross you do over the toms man and is something that I have seen a lot in your solos. Let's see some more vids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I thought it was very good on the fly like that.
    I found this that I would have practiced a little first if I were to attempt it.
    Olimpass, unless a song had a "signature" drum beat, pattern, whatever, I seldom, if ever, played the drum part as it was on the record/CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Yes, I agree will eveyone that you did a great job and the drums sounded great man. I always like that X cross you do over the toms man and is something that I have seen a lot in your solos. Let's see some more vids.
    Thanks Gilles! The crossovers in a solo are pure showing off. In a song, it allows me to change the "feel" of a fill without breaking the flow.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 05-25-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: =====

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Not bad Rick... and what a killer song! Brought back many great memories.
    not bad, NOT BAD. It could have been a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yes I could hear all the drums except the bass drum
    I have a mic for the BD. I'm going to work with it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Well it's about darn time.

Very nice my friend! LOVED some of the fills - deeply locked into the guitar riff/strum pattern.

I also couldn't hear the kick, but dang that was fun to watch. As MDK said, I too could hear your solos in this cover. Very cool!

Great choice in music. I literally just walked in from my drum room where I was working on 'The Chain', on bass guitar.

Keep 'em coming...

Tex
    Thanks Randy. I'm going to work with "Go Your Own Way" until I get the right balance between song and drums. Then onward to other songs.

User Info Menu

Still interested in your audio set up. You mentioned 2 mixers?

User Info Menu

Good Stuff Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Good Stuff Rick
    Thanks Butch!

User Info Menu

WTG, Rick. Thanks for posting!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish!

User Info Menu

Nice, I really enjoyed watching and listening to your playing Rick ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Nice, I really enjoyed watching and listening to your playing Rick ...
    Thanks DM! I know that it was overplayed, but I'm trying to get a good balance between all the drums and how they blend with the music.

User Info Menu

What, is it some super duper secret or something?