Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That one crash cymbal

User Info Menu

Default That one crash cymbal

I love my Zildjian Ks, I have a beautiful Kerope, and a few vintage cymbals that sound killer. But there's one cymbal, a Zildjian 17" A Medium Thin crash that I just can't set my kit up without. It's the smoothest, most versatile, most pleasing to my ear cymbal I've ever owned. There's nothing exotic or special about an A Medium Thin but I love this thing.

What's your "can't live without it" crash?

User Info Menu

Default Re: That one crash cymbal

1) Medium thin 18" Custom A

2) Any Johnny Walker that causes me to crash in any way except into anything else moving or not moving.

User Info Menu

at the moment 19" Zildjian A Thrash Ride.

never ride it only used for crashes.
    Last edited by slinky; 05-23-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My 16" Sabian AA medium thin is absolutely perfect. Must be something about those medium thins.

User Info Menu

My 18" A custom fast crash................perfect crash sound IMO

User Info Menu

Mine is an 18" Paiste Sig. full crash. I've had it since 91.

User Info Menu

I love my Zildjian A 17 medium thin crash. I bought it new back in the 1970's and have been using it since. Like you say most versatile crash to own. I also recently 6 years ago bought a 18 K dark thin to compliment it and they work well together.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 05-22-2017 at 12:16 PM.

User Info Menu

my sabian 18" XS medium thin is a wonderful cymbal. That's probably why I own 4 of them haha

User Info Menu

Old "A" Zildjian 16 inch thin crash....................loved it since the day I bought it in 1976....................still sounds perfect.
    It has been used at every gig and at every recording of which I have been a part since that time.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

+1 on the vintage A Zildjian 16" thin crash ... magical cymbal. I have one that I bought back in '77 but I currently have it stored away.

These days, my favorite is a K Zildjian 18" Dark Thin Crash that I bought a couple of years ago.

User Info Menu

I'd have to say it's my 16" Paiste Signature. I love it, but honestly never use it. As good as it sounds, it doesn't mesh with any of my other cymbals. If I ever played a gig with just one crash, it would be the one.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

16" AAX recording crash. Not too high, not too low. Nice long sustain, not too loud
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

18" Meinl Byzance Trash Crash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    18" Meinl Byzance Trash Crash.

Oooo I like those. Trashy in a smooth kind of way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    ... there's one cymbal, a Zildjian 17" A Medium Thin crash that I just can't set my kit up without. It's the smoothest, most versatile, most pleasing to my ear cymbal I've ever owned. There's nothing exotic or special about an A Medium Thin but I love this thing.

What's your "can't live without it" crash?
    Exactly the same cymbal, and for exactly the same reasons.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I have four crash cymbals. 16" HHX Stage, 18" HHX Manhattan, and 19" and 20" Artisans. At one point or another they have all been "that one cymbal". Right now it's the 20" Artisan. It's a badass.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

My favorite is a K Zildjian 17" Dark Thin Crash that I obtained from a backline kit in a Hillsborough, NC bar in 2007. I purchased an A. Zildjian 18" medium crash, that sounded almost exactly like that K, to trade for the K. The bar owner thought I was nuts for that deal, but I have one of the fastest(crash & fade away), loudest crash cymbals ever made. To me, it has a small bell and I love the sound, and if I had 100 of the same cymbal, I could sell them in an hour. I have an 18" A. Zildjian thin crash I bought in 2008 that is sonically ALMOST as wonderful as that 17" K.
    Last edited by trommel; 05-29-2017 at 05:34 PM.

User Info Menu

My 17" K Thin crash
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Mine is also a 17" medium thin crash, but from a different company.

User Info Menu

16" Zildjian K Custom Dark crash.

User Info Menu

My 18" Sabian El Sabor is my favorite musical instrument of all time. It is an outstanding crash. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

My 18" K custom Dark matches the sound in my head for a crash cymbal. Don't even bother browsing for other crash cymbals
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I have a 14" fast crash that came with my XSR set. I have it sitting over my 16" floor tom, and love to use it for accents.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

After my gig this weekend, I now have to amend my post of one year ago when I expressed preference for my 17" A Zildjian crash. The new winner: Zildjian K Dark 16" Medium Crash. What a remarkable crash cymbal!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I now have to amend my post of one year ago
    Can you do that? I don't think you can do that. Where are the rules? Check the rules!