Thread: New A to E conversion

User Info Menu

Default New A to E conversion

Hi Guys
    Just making a New E kit to trigger SD2 in my home studio
    Got my hands on a old Gretsch Black Hawk for the base for 50 bucks rusty and dead lol
    drums rusty.jpg
    Cut the toms down to sub hyperdrive style and cut a old DDrum 22x20 kick down to 2 22 x 10 kicks
    toms.jpg
    than just wrapped them in Wood grain vinyl (after clear coating them for a smooth finish) and used lots of Foil and water to work on the chrome
    drumkit3.jpg
    drumkit1.jpg
    and im now just starting to make the trigger baskets (2 zone every tom)
    snareekit.jpg
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: New A to E conversion

Nice job! I love the way you took an old, reject set of $50 shells and reworked them into something special and personal. A man after my own heart.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Looks fantastic. You're going to love playing that. I converted a wrecked Mapex kit a couple years ago. Really fun project.

User Info Menu

Very nice! I've always wondered. What do you use as a reso head? I noticed you're using the Roland powerplys. If I were to buy a set here in Canada, it would cost more than my whole kit.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 05-24-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Same here I was lucky enough to find the set on gumtree never used for less than the price of 1 x 14 inch head new ,
    Reso heads will be the same (just found another add with 10 ,12,14 cheap again
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Working on the isolation bridge tonight
    IMG_1687.jpg
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

omg I want to try this!!!!

User Info Menu

Looks awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    omg I want to try this!!!!
    By the time I was done building mine, I probably could have just bought a decent mid-level e-kit. But it looked soooo cool and building one up yourself from a crappy acoustic kit, it feels great to sit behind it. I had an e-kit and then the AE conversion and the AE is so much better. Build one up if you can - its a great project. Jammin Sam has great quality wraps and BumWrap has some super cool wood grain wraps - hard to tell them from the real thing.

User Info Menu

All the bits I need to make the snare trigger barsket , best fire up the tig welder tonight ,, can anyone guess what's going to be different with this snare compared to most
    IMG_1688.jpg
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    All the bits I need to make the snare trigger barsket , best fire up the tig welder tonight ,, can anyone guess what's going to be different with this snare compared to most
    IMG_1688.jpg
    It's going to weigh a ton!

User Info Menu

I did an A to E conversion on a couple of kits...............a Sonor force birch kit and a Ludwig "Youth" kit.............worked great with both, but I never really liked the mesh heads.

Now I am using the Pearl E-pro heads, and some Zildjian Gen16 cymbal..............I love it.

Still not as "good" as an acoustic kit, but I can rehearse at night and not wake up the family................biggest advantage for me is the full size kit vs. the tiny pads.

User Info Menu

400 grams its all aluminium weighs about the same as a good quality snare strainer set and snares , so yeh not so much im betting it weighs less than a ePro head to tell the truth ,, but it helps that im a ali welder and can use thin wall stuff because i dont have to screw anything together like the the other options
    Last edited by eddahenry; 05-26-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

nice to see that old kit getting another chance of life

User Info Menu

400 grams its all aluminium weighs about the same as a good quality snare strainer set and snares , so yeh not so much im betting it weighs less than a ePro head to tell the truth ,, but it helps that im a ali welder and can use thin wall stuff because i dont have to screw anything together like the the other options
    Probably will.........the epro heads are heavy

User Info Menu

Snare is getting close
    IMG_1697.jpg
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

Looks great

User Info Menu

Snare is getting close
    IMG_1697.jpg
    Does the center of that touch the center of the drum head? How does that work?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Does the center of that touch the center of the drum head? How does that work?
    Hi Mate
    just painting everything up and i will post some pictures and video of how it works as it seems plenty of people are interested in the Black magic of Electronic drums
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

Only the foam piezo cone touches the head to transfer the vibrations To the Piezo as you can see here
    20170606_213427.jpg
    And here is the diffent thing I was doing , I'm trying to make a double sided e snare , so you kinda have a spare drum in the same drum
    Brake a skin unplug flip it over and plug it back in
    20170606_213748.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    Last edited by eddahenry; 06-06-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

Finished my snare , need to do some adjustments of dynamics but i have great Head Rim isolation , and found my Axis ekits that still work

MY KIT
    CYMBALS