Thread: How would you clean this?

User Info Menu

Default How would you clean this?

I'm still not 100% confident cleaning the brilliant finish. Any ideas how you would?

IMG_2583.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: How would you clean this?

Sand Blasting!!!

User Info Menu

With TLC

User Info Menu

sabian cymbal cleaner only

follow instructions on bottle

User Info Menu

I saw pics of n2bluz using a drill with some kind of a buffing ball on the end to clean his Sabian. The cleaner was some auto metal polish and turned out nice and did not take off the logos.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 05-28-2017 at 08:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Mother's metal polish for mag wheels. It's a thick paste with fine abrasives...kinda like rubbing compound. You can use it on a rag by hand if you want. It will take off any clear coat (and logos) if you rub it hard enough.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

ANY liquid metal polish, IMO they are all the same (and they all will fade/remove logos if you don't carefully clean around them).

I have several brilliant finish cymbals, normally I will just dampen a soft cloth with gasoline and wipe away stick goop, grime and fingerprints taking care not to wipe the logos. B20 seems to take a long time to develop a patina if the general crud is wiped away fairly often - I only clean with metal polish about once a year.

User Info Menu

I agree, any metal polish should work. I guess my personal theory is this;

Cleaners that use chemical reactions to clean, like lemons, weak acids, etc., will work good to remove dirt, smoke buildup, light oxidation and stuff like that.

If you want to remove the deep contamination and/or get the polished shine, you need to use abrasive cleaners and physically remove some metal.

One thing I like about the Mothers mag wheel polish is that it actually leaves some kind of protective finish. Not sure if it's a wax or some kind of silicone film, but it resists finger prints, dust and water just beads and rolls off the cymbals after I work them over. It's been about 2 years since I polished my first Sabian AA ride, and it still looks like new.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-28-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

24 grit ?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'm curious to know how this cleaning endeavor turned out...
    -Brian

User Info Menu

FBN posted this back in May. You would think he would of told us by now how that cleaning job went.

User Info Menu

Haha. I forgot about this thread. Anyway, I was considering selling the crash and it sat in a cymbal bag for a few weeks but I took it out a few weeks ago and used lemons on it. Then I rinsed them in the shower with hot water and that was a huge nightmare because I noticed the labels started coming off. I touched them with my nail and the came off like nothing. I waited over night and they were back to normal, I just sharpied those little spots in. Whatever I do, all my b20 cymbals get that orangy dirt on them within a couple of weeks. I never touch them with my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

do you stack them in a case metal to metal
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

This is one of the reasons I stopped buying brilliant finished cymbals lol
    I'm to lazy to keep them clean.
    I was playing so much there was no way of keeping them clean.

I only use lime/lemon juice and warm soapy water.

User Info Menu

NevrDull always works for me. Non-abrasive, no rinse off needed.