Thread: Absolutes: why are the finishes so limited?

User Info Menu

Question Absolutes: why are the finishes so limited?

Almost made up my mind to buy a Yamaha Absolute- almost, 'til I looked more closely at the finish choices. Ugh! Dark or darker. How will those finishes even show up in spotlights? So I widened my search to include any kits for $2500+.... all but DW seem to have finish choices that are pretty limited.
    My question is why are the finish choices so poor for such expensive drums?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Absolutes: why are the finishes so limited?

Are you looking at the Absolute Hybrid's? They have a lot of color choices. So do the DW collectors?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Pearl has a lot of color choices in their high kits. Just saying.

User Info Menu

Gretsch and Ludwig have a ton of finish options on their high end stuff too.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I guess I expect more exciting, non-furniture choices from these guys. Butcher-block, or kitchen cabinet wood looks just aren't that exciting to me. I own a red/cherry kit, a brown burst kit and a black kit, don't care for ocean pearl swirls or sparkle and pink glitter is out. That leaves me with green(green?!) glitter burst or blue burst or white.
    Saturn V for example: dark red/brown, sliver/gold glitter or natural(natural looks like my kitchen cabinets!)
    Tama Performers: same, with a green too, and an ugly gold.
    Don't care for Ludwigs...
    Maybe I'm just tired of furniture-looking drums?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Me thinks you've been looking in the wrong places.

User Info Menu

I have owned several Yamaha kits, and while I love the sound, my biggest complaint is that they limit the finish selection on all but their super high end (expensive) kits. The PHX has some killer choices, the Absolutes are okay, then the Live Customs and Stage Customs are pretty limited.

User Info Menu

So the line up and their finish options:
    The new Rydeen has 6
    The Junior Kit (Manu katché signature) has 3
    The Stage Custom has 5
    The Live Custom has 4
    The Absolute Hybrid Maple has 10 (including some brighter ones)
    The Recording Custom has 4
    The PHX has 14 Textured finishes, 13 Gloss finishes and 5 Maple (solid) finishes.

The old Absolute finishes to choose from were at one point a whopping 49! That gives us a lot of options, but also crazy to maintain the quality we know Yamaha for.

More is only better as long as the quality is superb imho.
    Last edited by musiqman; 06-01-2017 at 03:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Basically I wanted to buy another Yamaha kit, upgrading from Tour Customs(brown burst, Indonesian maple), with kick mounted toms configured 10-12-16-22. My Sonors are gorgeous red-cherry wood stain finish and also maples. I thought the absolutes would be a good choice...except for the price.

$1850 Live custom-oak: dark brown(amber burst), dark green burst, black, black shadow. Basically dark with dark thrown in.

$2850 Absolute maple: dark brown, red, natural(light brown), black, polar white, green glitter, copper/orange glitter, ugly yellow glitter, pink champagne glitter, silver glitter.

So if you really like glitter/sparkles Absolutes are your only choice in that price range. Yamaha offers no sparkly oaks.

Eliminating glitters, the "OK"red and black and dark browns and generic green you're left with natural and polar white. Wow, at $2850.

User Info Menu

Well, I looked through the Absolute Hybrid finishes and I agree, Vintage Natural or Polar White are the only 2 I would consider.

Yamaha's vintage natural kits bring a pretty penny on the used market. It's one of the most sought after finishes for the Maple Customs and the Absolutes. Some of these kits are selling for what they cost new or even above, depending on the sizes.

The Polar White is really interesting too though. It looks like it changes shade quite a bit depending on the lighting. It has this pearl finish to it, it's actually really pretty.

User Info Menu

I love yamaha's vintage natural finish...if I was going to buy a hybrid absolute, it would be in that finish ...and resale is great on them with that finish as well....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    I love yamaha's vintage natural finish...if I was going to buy a hybrid absolute, it would be in that finish ...and resale is great on them with that finish as well....
    Yeah, you know Tama I think has one of the great finishes out there for sure!
    I don't own a Tama, but I wish I did. I've played them a lot and I enjoyed playing them. I have only one Tama snare and I love it! I think they discontinued this series snare, but what caught my eye was this finish. . .just a stain and the black chrome hardware. I wish I had a Tama set to match it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yeah, you know Tama I think has one of the great finishes out there for sure!
    I don't own a Tama, but I wish I did. I've played them a lot and I enjoyed playing them. I have only one Tama snare and I love it! I think they discontinued this series snare, but what caught my eye was this finish. . .just a stain and the black chrome hardware. I wish I had a Tama set to match it!
    Sorry, wrong thread. . . . . Let's see if I could save myself! Here's a pic of my late 90's Yammies. One of my favorite sets and finishes. I wish they would bring back. . . . .Chestnut stain.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 06-25-2017 at 03:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been playing my Live Customs (Oak) more now than ever. I am really liking the way they sound. I have the Black Shadow finish.

I, too, have thought about adding another Yamaha kit to the collection but like others, I'm not digging any of their finishes.

They need to do some market research. They are missing a ton of sales, I suspect.
    Signature here