Thread: Being Different

User Info Menu

Default Being Different

The main style of music that I play and love is metal. But, I take a different approach then most metal drummers. I don't hit super hard, I strive to come up with unique patterns and fills, and I infuse other styles of drumming into what I play (jazz, funk, latin, etc).

I have found that I've had a lot of people that like my drumming. They come up after shows and tell me that I play things that they don't hear in my genre. That always makes me feel great as I strive to be unique and have my own voice. But, for as many people that like my drummer I have a lot that don't. Those folks can't seem to get past the fact that my style is different. Its like they just want go hear what has already been played before in the same way its been played already (I find this the most with metal guitar players). Actually, I have an old guitar player that I played in a band with that I've been trying to get to start another band with me because he is a great guitar player I he is a dear friend. When I left that band they got another drummer who was more of a typical metal drummer. That band has since broken up. But he said that he feels that the other drummers style was a better fit with his guitar playing. When I heard the other drummer it just sounded like all the current metal drummers that I hear now days. So my guitar player friend won't commit to starting a band with me because he is afraid that my style lacks the kind of power he wants because I don't blast beat all the time and because I don't hit my drums like they owe me money lol!

I've come to the place where I'm not offended when other musicians or audience members are negative about my style and the way that I play. The way I see it is that if one is going to strive to be unique they are going to get both love and hate. So one has to learn to not let the hate bother you. But thankfully I almost always hear positive things from the crowd.

"To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave" - Primus

User Info Menu

Default Re: Being Different

I believe we can all play just as we like and there will be a place for all of us at some point.
    I think it is good to mix styles, and learn all you can...................you will continue to evolve anyway.
    If you have not done so already, check out Mike Mangini..............he is a former teacher from the Berklee school now playing with a band that mixes styles all over the map.
    Mangini is a master technician and does not hit hard like most rockers from his era..............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I say, play what and how you want. Make it your own. Obviously, it needs to fit the song, but that doesn't mean you can't put your own flavor to it. Many of the "great & revered" rock drummers of the past have had a strong influence from other genres....especially Jazz.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I love just being me. I play how I play and I have fun doing it. I try to tell all of my students have influences but be yourself and play to showcase who you are as a musician.

Any videos of you playing?

User Info Menu

I can see his point if their amps are all on 11 but still most rock bands are loud regardless of what kind and not all the drummers are breaking their kits playing with them. Lots of light handed drummers get big sound from good mixes
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Some people wan to hear what they expect and like. No problem. Some people want to hear things done live a little differently or a different interpretation of a song or genre than they hear in recordings. No problem with that either. I can appreciate the musicianship of both ways. I tend to lean more toward the familiar - one of the best bands I've ever seen play live was the Eagles, whose instrumentation and vocals are so spot on the recordings it's amazing.

User Info Menu

I'm reading this book called How Music Works by David Byrne and there was this really interesting part where talked about how Pandora chooses the songs you here. Basically songs are given characteristics that make up your DNA. So lets say you chose to play Sick Boys by Social D, who are a punk band. The next song played could be Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash. Those songs are from totally different eras and are mostly listen to by totally different kinds of people, but they both have country roots. The interesting thing is that most people didn't like the songs that Pandora chose, although they were similar to songs they did like. This shows that people like to say they like learning new things about music, but really they just want to listen to the same old thing and feel like they're discovering something new.
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Keep doing what you're doing if you're happy with it, are having fun, are progressing as you'd like as a drummer and can find people that want to play with you. You have to be comfortable in your own skin. If you listen to everyone and try to please everyone you will please nobody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    If you listen to everyone and try to please everyone you will please nobody.

Absolutely 100% true

User Info Menu

Are there other people out there that know you better than you know yourself? I learned to ignore them when I was 11.

There are 3 rules for dealing with them:

1) Screw 'em

2) SCREW'EM

3) If 1 happens to be a guitar player, you hit him with a stick. Usually VF Quadruple B (commonly referred to as a baseball bat) does the trick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I can see his point if their amps are all on 11 but still most rock bands are loud regardless of what kind and not all the drummers are breaking their kits playing with them. Lots of light handed drummers get big sound from good mixes
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    one of the best bands I've ever seen play live was the Eagles, whose instrumentation and vocals are so spot on the recordings it's amazing.
    I find these two remarks interesting...............Don Henley is a light player (and uses all the big muscles................incorrectly), but he and the band sound fine.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Just do you. You get one trip around on this big rock, you should spend it doing what you love doing and how you love doing it. Eventually you will find others who see the path you are taking and want to join you.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
    The main style of music that I play and love is metal. But, I take a different approach then most metal drummers. I don't hit super hard, I strive to come up with unique patterns and fills, and I infuse other styles of drumming into what I play (jazz, funk, latin, etc).

I have found that I've had a lot of people that like my drumming. They come up after shows and tell me that I play things that they don't hear in my genre. That always makes me feel great as I strive to be unique and have my own voice. But, for as many people that like my drummer I have a lot that don't. Those folks can't seem to get past the fact that my style is different. Its like they just want go hear what has already been played before in the same way its been played already (I find this the most with metal guitar players). Actually, I have an old guitar player that I played in a band with that I've been trying to get to start another band with me because he is a great guitar player I he is a dear friend. When I left that band they got another drummer who was more of a typical metal drummer. That band has since broken up. But he said that he feels that the other drummers style was a better fit with his guitar playing. When I heard the other drummer it just sounded like all the current metal drummers that I hear now days. So my guitar player friend won't commit to starting a band with me because he is afraid that my style lacks the kind of power he wants because I don't blast beat all the time and because I don't hit my drums like they owe me money lol!

I've come to the place where I'm not offended when other musicians or audience members are negative about my style and the way that I play. The way I see it is that if one is going to strive to be unique they are going to get both love and hate. So one has to learn to not let the hate bother you. But thankfully I almost always hear positive things from the crowd.

"To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave" - Primus
    Sounds to me that you may want to look for a band/ musicians that are into Progressive Metal. Bands like Pagan's Mind, DGM , Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, Evergrey and the like. These bands tend to be a bit more creative then just your straight forward metal bands. More fineness not just power.