Thread: Finally had a "break-out" gig!

User Info Menu

Default Finally had a "break-out" gig!

Tonight we played a 1hr demo gig at the newest premier music venue in downtown Lincoln. Last weekend they had Dale Watson play there, which is cool. There were 3 bands featured and we were the last to take the stage. The band before us was freaking fantastic. MUCH better than us, but we rose to the occasion. At first I thought I got us in over our head on this gig and venue (I was scared to death, LOL). We made one major mistake on the ending of a song, but we laughed it off.
    Regardless, the owner LOVED us, as did the audience and even the soundman (who was also awesome). The owner even got up on stage and sang with us, LOL.
    After the show he came up to me and said, "you guys are awesome, I'm SOLD."
    We discussed future gig dates for this fall and his pay scale (which is double our normal rate + a percentage of the bar profit) and then he played me some songs by 2 different recording bands out of Nashville. He said they will both be playing there this fall on a national tour and he wants us to open for each of them...

It was a very strange night. I kept looking around for the hidden camera, thinking these people have all got to be smoking something

Anyway...time for bed. I have to be at work in 4hrs! What a night.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finally had a "break-out" gig!

WTG Brian! It sounds really great.

User Info Menu

Wow! Nice job!
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

That is great!! Congrats. Now go have some fun.

User Info Menu

Awesome! Congrats!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

The only club I know in Lincoln is the Zoo Bar.
    When I went it was always blues bands.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The only club I know in Lincoln is the Zoo Bar.
    When I went it was always blues bands.
    The Zoo is still going....but has been struggling for several years. They now get get all types of genres in there....including a DJ....just trying to keep afloat. It's a sad state of affairs. Almost anyone can play there now, but I'm told you play strictly for the door. This new place we played has been getting a lot of the national acts that the Zoo used to, but I think the hard-core Blues artists still play the Zoo.

"Magic Slim" was a regular at the Zoo before he passed away. Now his son, Shawn (aka Lil' Slim) plays there every so often when he's not touring in Europe.
    Shawn actually lived in my hometown until his divorce recently. I was on a city organization board with his wife and would get to talk to him occasionally when we'd run into each other at Walmart, LOL. He always said he was going to jam with us, but it never transpired.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's awesome Brian. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

We can't tell you were pumped up or anything based on the time you posted this. LMAO

Congrats!!!!

Sounds like me, though. I do try to get to bed before the birds start chirping for the day.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats brother

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    We can't tell you were pumped up or anything based on the time you posted this. LMAO

Congrats!!!!

Sounds like me, though. I do try to get to bed before the birds start chirping for the day.
    Haha, yep. I get my second wind on the drive home from a gig, then sit in my recliner until dawn waiting for the adrenaline levels to drop, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Congrats bud that is frickin awesome,
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

So....I found out who the 2 touring bands/artists are that they want us to open for, and the dates. One is in August and the other in September. I won't say who they are yet...not until everything is confirmed.

The first is a band best described as a cross between heavy metal and Blues rock. I personally don't think my band would be the best fit, style wise, but the venue thinks so. I think I'll need to have a good honest discussion with the venue owner as soon as I can.
    The other is a solo artist that has been around the underground country music industry a long time. Our band would be a great fit. In fact, we cover some of the same old country/rockabilly songs he does. Appearantly, however, I need to send some videos of our band to the guys agent in Nashville. His agent has to approve of us. I don't really have any recordings or videos, except for the ones taken at various small bars. All of which are posted on our Facebook page. I'm not sure if that's acceptable or not (?). The way I see it, what could be a more honest representation than a video of us playing in a small honky-tonk bar, surrounded by horse tack, wash tubs full of beer on ice and no fancy sound equipment or processing. Just music being played raw like it was meant to be, in the type of place its suppose to be, for the type of people that created it. Heck...that's the type of situation the mainstream artists try to fake for a video, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Well, the August opener gig is official. We'll be one of 2 bands opening for a fantastic touring band from North Carolina called The Dirty Soul Revival. It looks like they opened for Blackberry Smoke earlier this year. I'm totally Blown away by their music....Best described as a mix of Delta Blues and hard Rock.

There will also be another very well-known and popular local/regional artist, named Charlie Burton, taking the stage as well.
    Honestly, I'm excited but also scared to death, LOL.

The September opening gig is still pending approval by the artists agent. I get the feeling he (or she) doesn't approve of us....but we'll see what happens.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

That's awesome, Brian. Congratulations on the great opening gig and best of luck with it. You got this...

User Info Menu

Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity for you.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Congrats and good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Honestly, I'm excited but also scared to death
    Back in the 70s from their 2nd album, a band called Jo Jo Gunne recorded a song called "Sixty Minutes to Go".
    It tells the story how every gig-night at about one hour before show-time, all the band members get a bit nauseated and stressed.
    Then once you are up on stage and get through that first song, everything is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4FJfB6CII

I've always taken that as an advisory to make certain that first song is something with which all band members are comfortable AND makes a great first impression to the audience.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Our rhythm guitarist, on occasion, would throw up before a gig. He was like that for 32 years.

I would tell him that I look out at the crowd and see a lot of blondes in bikinis. It was a lie and it never worked.

About 40 years ago, I went with our bass player to South Jersey where he was going to buy a Telly from a guy he knew. The man had a beautiful home (he was a graphic artist) and a boatload of guitars in a climate controlled room.

They started jammin' and I watched this guy totally rip on a guitar. He played R&R, Classical, Flamenco, as good (seriously) as anyone I've ever seen (I think he could lose Al DeMeola).

When we left, I asked my friend why this guy wasn't in a band or something, as he was, by far, the best guitar player I've ever seen. He said 3 words to me: total stage fright. It is (was) a shame that 1 of the best guitar players in the world (easily) couldn't play outside of that room.

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting the August opener gig and best of luck on the September gig!

Well done!