Thread: Dodgy hi-hat, or dodgy drummer?

User Info Menu

Default Dodgy hi-hat, or dodgy drummer?

I'm having a problem with the nut securing the top hi-hat cymbal to the clutch unscrewing itself as I'm playing. Is it because the hi-hat pedal is worn out (or poor quality), could it be down to the hi-hat cymbals themselves, or might it be something wrong with my playing technique? If it is the pedal/cluctch, is it easily fixable or should I replace it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dodgy hi-hat, or dodgy drummer?

If the locking screw is loosening off it sounds like you need a new hi hat clutch - a replacement should be easy to find, my only recommendation here is to buy a good quality one - they aren't particularly expensive so there isn't much point in cheaping out and buying a flimsy POS, my favourite manufacturer for hardware is Tama (but I'm biased) but a clutch from any decent manufacturer designed for a mid range or higher quality hi hat stand should be good. The pedal just moves the rod up and down and has no affect on the clutch. If you are happy with your hi hat in every other respect there is no need to change the whole stand.

User Info Menu

Agreed. You can replace the clutch for less than $20. I'm partial to DW clutches. They have a set screw that locks the bottom nut in place, but Pearl, Tama, etc. make clutches with the same feature. I've also used the Gibraltar quick-release clutch with no problems.

User Info Menu

I also agree with you guys.

User Info Menu

Bad clutch. I tell you what, you should look into the Gibraltar quick release clutch. It has no wing nut on the bottom to come loose. I have 4 or 5 of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Bad clutch. I tell you what, you should look into the Gibraltar quick release clutch. It has no wing nut on the bottom to come loose. I have 4 or 5 of them.
    +1..................I have two of them...........definitely quicker!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    +1..................I have two of them...........definitely quicker!
    I'm with these guys. It was the best $20 I spent. Much nicer for setup & tear down. If you don't gig your kit, then the DW or Pearl ones with a locking set screw would fix your issues.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Get the Gibraltar quick release---I have the drop clutch version, and it is very well built!

User Info Menu

I don't have any experience with Gibraltar quick release but I have had experience with Taye. Of all the companies I've own their drums, the Taye clutch was the most ingenious and easy to use of all. I'm surprised more aren't made that way.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

there are two different sized clutches. make sure you get the right one

suggest the pro gibraltar clutch with the drum key lock on the bottom

User Info Menu

One thing about the Gibraltar that I like (besides the quick release) is the eye-bolt design that grips the pull rod. The traditional set-screw style clutches always slip on me and chew up the shaft. Not only does the eye-bolt grip solid, but it's safe on the shaft.....and it works well on old shafts that are already chewed up.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    One thing about the Gibraltar that I like (besides the quick release) is the eye-bolt design that grips the pull rod. The traditional set-screw style clutches always slip on me and chew up the shaft. Not only does the eye-bolt grip solid, but it's safe on the shaft.....and it works well on old shafts that are already chewed up.

This is a HUGE positive for the Gibraltar clutch. I didn't even think of that aspect but I agree fully. Nothing worse then a clutch that just digs into the rod and comes loose.

User Info Menu

the threads could be stripped or starting to strip. change the clutch felts too when they become worn (flattened, out of shape)
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN