Thread: New funk band with horns - Superstition

User Info Menu

Default New funk band with horns - Superstition

I started a funk band with a bunch of my ex-students that are all half my age. Here's our third run though of Superstition at our first practice. I think this has some promise. There are some obvious balance issues, but we're working that out. Feel free to comment and critique.

Last edited by Redeye; 06-12-2017 at 12:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New funk band with horns - Superstition

Wow, that's great! What fun! great job on the drums, too.
    That already sounds better than 95% of the bands around here. The ONLY critique I could possibly offer would be to slow it down a little and get the guys to relax and "feel" it a little more. It was just a touch on the "mechanical" and driving side. Then again, it was only the 3rd run at the first practice.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've noticed watching my son play trumpet in High School Jazz and concert band; most of the kids just play the notes. I've always told my son that playing the right note is only half the job. The rest is "how" you play it. How you attack it, the sustain, fluctuation, how you leave it, etc..
    he said his band teacher never really addressed that much. I found it odd, but I'm not a band teacher. I suppose with High School age kids, it's enough to get them to play the right notes and keep their instruments in tune, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Good to see you back in action Shane. Band sounds good!

User Info Menu

I agree you guys did a great job on that song. I closed my eyes and could hear Stevie Wonder singing along with you.
    I would love to hear you guys do some Chicago you would fit right in there with the brass.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and also the criticism. It's welcome at this point and I've taken it to heart.

We just got into "I Feel Good". This is the 5th time through I think.

WARNING - The first thing he does is scream. It about gave my poor mom a heart attack. Maybe don't watch at full volume.

Jungle Boogie, September, Get Down On It, Gonna Take You Higher are already learned. Pride and Joy , and Mary Had A Little Lamb for the rhythm section as well. Next week is Getaway, Sir Duke, Brick House, I Shot The Sheriff, and Papas Got A Brand New Bag. Coming up soon are Cissy Strut and Down With Disease (Phish!).
    We are actually looking at Chicago tunes. I've got a bari sax player coming in hopefully and we added the percussion. Trombone is also a possibility. If we're not going to make any money anyway, we might as well get whoever we can and have fun. The plan is to play 3 gigs before the end of July. We have a place that will let us do a 2 hour Thursday night thing for a few hundred bucks. Then we have to break for a month for marching band and school stuff, then pick it back up in September. I'm super psyched about this!
    Last edited by Redeye; 06-12-2017 at 12:28 AM.

User Info Menu

We also re-recorded Superstition to see if it got any better.

User Info Menu

You guys did a great job on Feel good. James brown's music is not the easiest to play but you were dead on. The singer sounded just like him. Looking at your list of future song and can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

WTG, Shane.

All sounds great!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I really appreciate the kind words gentlemen. Thanks! Here are a couple more. I realize there are still some balance problems and the backup mics in "Get Down On It" are way too low, but these are rehearsal videos and that will be addressed when we have an actual sound man on board at shows.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

One more video for now. Sorry I'm not as active on the forum as I'd like these days, but this funk thing and marching band arranging are keeping me as busy as I can handle. Sadly, we must take 6 weeks off while the singer does some work out of state.

User Info Menu

Good stuff brother