Thread: D-Day June 6th, 1944

User Info Menu

Default D-Day June 6th, 1944

At this time exactly 73 years ago, American troops were fighting their butts off to get off Omaha beach.

Let's not forget the hell they went through. Watch the 1st 25 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" to see what they had to deal with.

User Info Menu

Default Re: D-Day June 6th, 1944

Canada landed on Juno Beach and lost thousands of soldiers. In the end the allies defeated the Germans and freed Europe from this war of hell. Many lost fathers, brothers and sisters. We will never forget D-Day.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-06-2017 at 09:10 AM.

User Info Menu

They knew the sacrifice was essential to the entire World.

[Deleted part of this post. Per forum rules, please avoid political commentary. - Thx, Tom]
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thoughts and prayers to the fallen and the survivors.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    At this time exactly 73 years ago, American troops were fighting their butts off to get off Omaha beach.

Let's not forget the hell they went through. Watch the 1st 25 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" to see what they had to deal with.
    Amen.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I had the honor of knowing this man (HERO) from about the time I was 12 or 13. I used to set pins for him.

It's a hell of a story. This was the citation:

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 31 (April 17, 1945)Action Date: 27-Aug-44Service: ArmyRank: Second LieutenantCompany: Company LRegiment: 143d Infantry RegimentDivision: 36th Infantry Division

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Second Lieutenant (Infantry), [then Technical Sergeant] Stephen Raymond Gregg, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 27 August 1944, while serving with Company L, 143d Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, in action in the vicinity of Montelimar, France. As his platoon advanced upon the enemy positions; the leading scout was fired upon and Second Lieutenant Gregg immediately put his machineguns into action to cover the advance of the riflemen. The Germans, who were at close range, threw hand grenades at the riflemen, killing some and wounding seven. Each time a medical aid man attempted to reach the wounded, the Germans fired at him. Realizing the seriousness of the situation, Second Lieutenant Gregg took one of the light .30-caliber machineguns, and firing from the hip, started boldly up the hill with the medical aid man following him. Although the enemy was throwing hand grenades at him, Second Lieutenant Gregg remained and fired into the enemy positions while the medical aid man removed the seven wounded men to safety. When Second Lieutenant Gregg had expended all his ammunition, he was covered by four Germans who ordered him to surrender. Since the attention of most of the Germans had been diverted by watching this action, friendly riflemen were able to maneuver into firing positions. One, seeing Second Lieutenant Gregg's situation, opened fire on his captors. The four Germans hit the ground and thereupon Second Lieutenant Gregg recovered a machine pistol from one of the Germans and managed to escape to his other machinegun positions. He manned a gun, firing at his captors, killed one of them and wounded the other. This action so discouraged the Germans that the platoon was able to continue its advance up the hill to achieve its objective. The following morning, just prior to daybreak, the Germans launched a strong attack, supported by tanks, in an attempt to drive Company L from the hill. As these tanks moved along the valley and their foot troops advanced up the hill, Second Lieutenant Gregg immediately ordered his mortars into action. During the day by careful observation, he was able to direct effective fire on the enemy, inflicting heavy casualties. By late afternoon he had directed 600 rounds when his communication to the mortars was knocked out. Without hesitation he started checking his wires, although the area was under heavy enemy small arms and artillery fire. When he was within 100 yards of his mortar position, one of his men informed him that the section had been captured and the Germans were using the mortars to fire on the company. Second Lieutenant Gregg with this man and another nearby rifleman started for the gun position where he could see five Germans firing his mortars. He ordered the two men to cover him, crawled up, threw a hand grenade into the position, and then charged it. The hand grenade killed 1, injured 2, Second Lieutenant Gregg took the other two prisoners, and put his mortars back into action.

I would ask him how he won it and he would say "It was nothing Ricky, I just got lucky".

From age 14 (1961) up till I went into the service (Nov. 17th, 1965) I delivered milk (6 nights a week for $18). Played in various bands, was a juvenile delinquent who was thrown out of school at the age of 15. I would sometimes hang out at a church with, what my mother called the "good boys".

All through that time I would ask Steve how he won the medal and he would always tell me the same thing, "It was nothing Ricky, I just got lucky". The night before I left for basic, they threw me a little party at this church in this room off of where the bowling alleys were. Steve came there, motioned me outside, and we talked. He said that "This Nam thing is going to get worse". The battle of the Ia Drang Valley started the day I left for basic.

That night he told me how and what he did to win the MOH. He also told me that "If they send you there and you find yourself in a bad situation, don't do anything stupid, I realized, after it was all over, that I could have been killed 6-7 times and vowed I would never do anything like that again".

He died in 2005 at age 90. In days past, we would bump into each other 4-5 times a year, and sometimes we would go have a cup of coffee together. I was in complete awe of this quiet, easy going man.

A lot of people get called "Hero", this man was the real thing.

User Info Menu

Another great hero.

Audie Leon Murphy (20 June 1925 – 28 May 1971) was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II, receiving every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism. Murphy received the Medal of Honor for valor demonstrated at the age of 19 for single-handledy holding off an entire company of German soldiers for an hour at the Colmar Pocket in France in January 1945, then leading a successful counterattack while wounded and out of ammunition.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-06-2017 at 05:37 PM.

User Info Menu

When I was younger, I used to frequent VFW halls on a weekly basis and hang out with the soldiers in the "bar". Just something I enjoyed doing out of respect. Once, I had a soldier tell me his Vietnam MOH story after I had hung out at this particular hall on a regular basis for many months. I couldn't believe it. The other guys told me that they had never heard him speak of it before to anyone but he did to me that day. Not sure why he picked me to tell his story to but I consider it to be one of the most amazing things that has ever happened to me in my life ...

Cheers to The Greatest Generation!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Another great hero.

Audie Leon Murphy (20 June 1925 – 28 May 1971) was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II, receiving every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism. Murphy received the Medal of Honor for valor demonstrated at the age of 19 for single-handledy holding off an entire company of German soldiers for an hour at the Colmar Pocket in France in January 1945, then leading a successful counterattack while wounded and out of ammunition.
    Murphy's best line was when the Germans were closing in on his position and he was calling for shelling close to where he was. The guy on the line asked Murphy how close were the Germans and Murphy said "Hold on and I'll let you talk to them!"

User Info Menu

LOL that was pretty close. You know Audie turned out to be my hero and all his movies where great. I am Canadian but still had alot of respect for that man. Too bad he died so young of a plane crash. The day I heard of his death I was saddened with such a great lost to the American people.

The headstones of Medal of Honor recipients buried at Arlington National Cemetery are normally decorated in gold leaf. Murphy previously requested that his stone remain plain and inconspicuous, like that of an ordinary soldier.The headstone contains the birth year 1924.
    Murphy had always wanted to be a soldier, and after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, he tried to enlist, but the Army, Navy and Marine Corps all turned him down for being underweight and underage. After his sister provided an affidavit falsifying his birth date by a year, he was accepted by the U.S. Army on 30 June 1942 smart man and history was made.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-07-2017 at 06:44 AM.

User Info Menu

A great tribute to our heroes. Thanks Rick for starting this thread!

User Info Menu

PMM - I hope you've read "To Hell and Back". If you haven't, check it out. Book written by none other than Audie Murphy. Give it a read.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Sorry Mark did not read the book but seen the movie a dozen times since it came out back in 1955 and then watched every movie the man made.