I found this discussion below regarding the flat-head screws used in the lightning throw......................

I can definitely understand you concern about the flat head screws. Gretsch apparently did make some modifications and the latest version does use the short tension rod style heads that uses a drum key. However, the ones they sent me are much too large for the version that I have. Mine must have been the earlier version of the Lightning and Butt Plate.
Just for what it's worth... One thing I don't like about the Lightning is those flat-head screws. They're a pain when you've got plenty of time - I can't imagine having to mess with them if something were to break between sets, say.

I haven't tried it yet but have been told you can get the proper size from Gretsch - that you can tighten with a drum key - as opposed to a flat-head screw driver. That seems like a much better way to go if you can find them.
One day I'll have enough time to call Gretsch and see if that can't be done. I just don't like messing with those screws... but other than that, I like the throw off.

My question is this -- has anyone here been successful in the upgrade of these flat-head screws to the tension rod type ???
I am currently having this exact same problem with the throw on a Gretsch 4000 series USA COB.