Thread: Need touch up paint for my snare.

User Info Menu

Default Need touch up paint for my snare.

Well I got my snare all cleaned up and noticed some small scratches on it. I thought about going to Walmart and buying some touch up paint. Would that be a good ideal for my Ludwig acrolite snare. The snare is steel and I guess it's a gray metal color. Any advice?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need touch up paint for my snare.

Do what ever you want---you are free to destroy you own property---just don't expect to ever sell it with cheap chinese paint on it! It's worth more with scratches than it is with a crappy re-paint!

User Info Menu

If your Ludwig Acrolite has the anodized aluminum finish you'll need to get aluminum anodized touch up paint if you decide to go that route. I would think that pens would be best for scratches. I would also suggest top of the line paint if you can get it. You might have to experiment to get the color right.

Or you can just leave it as is and consider it a player's drum ...

Good luck!
    Last edited by dangermoney; 06-16-2017 at 08:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Unless it looks really shabby I would leave it alone Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a few scratches and scuffs on a used drum, but if you do decide to refurbish I would recoat the entire drum - not really worth the time and effort if it is only a few light scratches on the coating, and if you do repaint it - it will probably be worth less.

User Info Menu

Whatever you do to it you will STILL get your hundred bucks back for it . Around here those drums with NO HOOPS and heads get that much . Maybe some guy will tell you it's not worth the $100 and they can just move along but someone else will gladly give you the money .
    If you are on Facebook join the Ludwig Drum Collectors group . The people there are a wealth of information and can help you with your snare .
    Good luck !

User Info Menu

I highly reccomend watching rdavidr's video on YouTube about his acrolite. I think he went over cleaning the actual shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Good advice ,thank you. I have decided to not paint it at all. Besides it cleaned up really nice. Now for new heads and strings for the snares.

User Info Menu

You could use a dull aluminum paint and small brush to touch it up. If it's not too bad and it's a vintage '70s B/O badge, I'd probably just leave it alone. A few scratches give it that "road worn" character...like old blue jeans and guitars!

I would love to find an acrolite that's all scratched up. I'd strip it and either give it a wire brush satin finish or polish it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

me personally would just clean up the shell best I could and leave the scratches alone.

Do you have any pics?