Thread: Ok, big question for you drummers

User Info Menu

Default Ok, big question for you drummers

When we hear a cool rock groove or when a drummer in a rock band creates a cool sounding drum beat: does he ever say ' damn, this is a complicated beat, am i going to be able to duplicated this live?" So maybe he makes the groove less complicated so he can consistently play it?
    I always wondered that.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ok, big question for you drummers

Neil peart's trademark ride pattern. You can hear it on spirit of radio, red barchetta, he usually plays quarter notes on the hi hat with his foot while keeping the beat with his right hand and right foot. I haven't gotten to the point yet where I can play the hi hats at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

If you can play it once, there isn't a reason in the world that you can't duplicate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    If you can play it once, there isn't a reason in the world that you can't duplicate it.
    I agree. As long as the rest of the band plays the same thing as well. My problem is either remembering what I played, or the other guys in the band remembering what they played.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I would guess many musicians do that, not just drummers.

User Info Menu

this happens to me once in awhile. sometimes magical things happen by accident. Its when they happen in the studio is what gets me.

One beat that i've heard played differently post recording is Tommy Lees Dr. Feelgood. I think that one was doctored up a little in the studio. I mean it sounds simple but a little trickier than one might think
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

never duplicate

rather play it again but better