Thread: New Tama B/Bs at last!

User Info Menu

Default New Tama B/Bs at last!

Came in the other day: finally took pics. Honey natural, 22-10-12-16 B/B
    tama-uptoms-resized.jpgtamakit-left-resized.jpg
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Tama B/Bs at last!

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Came in the other day: finally took pics. Honey natural, 22-10-12-16 B/B
    tama-uptoms-resized.jpgtamakit-left-resized.jpg

Gorgeous! Congrats

User Info Menu

Nice finish Sling. I know that you talked about getting another kit for quite awhile. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Very Nice, love that color. Looks like they fixed those plastic mounts. They look much better as well
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Congrats, beautiful kit! I'll bet they sound as great as they look!

User Info Menu

Congrats. Just awesome drums. You'll love them.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Very Nice, love that color. Looks like they fixed those plastic mounts. They look much better as well
    What plastic mounts are you referencing?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    What plastic mounts are you referencing?
    The plastic locking memory locks they put on the B/B's.. I tried to buy a used kit and the floor tom and rack toms were wobbly and all over the place no matter what we did to stop it. Really bad design. Come to find out it is a known problem.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Gorgeous drums!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit, Slinglander.

The plastic locking memory locks they put on the B/B's.. I tried to buy a used kit and the floor tom and rack toms were wobbly and all over the place no matter what we did to stop it. Really bad design. Come to find out it is a known problem.

Who says it's a known problem?

Mine have some play, not that much. I think it's a great characteristic for isolating the mounts and having them as free floating as possible. End result is sustain that doesn't end. It's awesome.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Congrats on the new kit, Slinglander.

Who says it's a known problem?

Mine have some play, not that much. I think it's a great characteristic for isolating the mounts and having them as free floating as possible. End result is sustain that doesn't end. It's awesome.
    I have researched it and threads go back to when the 2016 models came out, which I will post a link to even though it is a competitor to this forum.

Seems they put those cheap plastic levers on the 2016 and newer models. The one I was looking to buy shook as much as in that video and the rack tom mounts were just as bad. Someone suggested Tama had intentionally done that for resonance and they don't move as much when playing blah blah blah but whatever the reason there is no way I am playing that. Are you saying your ok with that wobble in the video? Also IMO the mounts on the op's b/b look much better than those plastic lever things.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

great kit
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I have researched it and threads go back to when the 2016 models came out, which I will post a link to even though it is a competitor to this forum.

Seems they put those cheap plastic levers on the 2016 and newer models. The one I was looking to buy shook as much as in that video and the rack tom mounts were just as bad. Someone suggested Tama had intentionally done that for resonance and they don't move as much when playing blah blah blah but whatever the reason there is no way I am playing that. Are you saying your ok with that wobble in the video? Also IMO the mounts on the op's b/b look much better than those plastic lever things.
    My drums don't have those plastic pieces as far as I know, but they are older than 2016, which might be what the OP has. ROCK SOLID.

That being said, the wobble in that video (which is older) is a person trying to demonstrate how much the drum "can" move if you try with your hand. A hit with a stick would never cause that much movement since it's generally mostly downward towards the head. The rack toms may wobble some, but I've had several ISO mount style kits where the rack toms move when hit.

Wouldn't turn me off to the B/B's personally since I play them and the sound is incredible.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    My drums don't have those plastic pieces as far as I know, but they are older than 2016, which might be what the OP has. ROCK SOLID.

That being said, the wobble in that video (which is older) is a person trying to demonstrate how much the drum "can" move if you try with your hand. A hit with a stick would never cause that much movement since it's generally mostly downward towards the head. The rack toms may wobble some, but I've had several ISO mount style kits where the rack toms move when hit.

Wouldn't turn me off to the B/B's personally since I play them and the sound is incredible.
    I don't get how anyone could see that wobble and say hitting with a stick minimizes it so it is fine? Different strokes for different folks but come on man if every time I touch my drum and it moves like that I don't care how much rubber is in there it is still putting stresses on the through bolts and eventually going to crack the shell. I guess time will tell, I think the b/b's sound great as well but not enough to warrant that. I am glad I tried it in person 1st, had I bought that on eBay or something similar I would be very upset.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I don't get how anyone could see that wobble and say hitting with a stick minimizes it so it is fine? Different strokes for different folks but come on man if every time I touch my drum and it moves like that I don't care how much rubber is in there it is still putting stresses on the through bolts and eventually going to crack the shell. I guess time will tell, I think the b/b's sound great as well but not enough to warrant that. I am glad I tried it in person 1st, had I bought that on eBay or something similar I would be very upset.
    I play out with these kits. They work great. There isn't near the movement you are seeing in that video unless you flat out grab the rim and start moving it. It's way over exaggerated or someone has taken very poor care of their kit. My oldest "Star hardware" kit is over 2 years old and is solid as a rock. That video is not reflective of the entire product line. I have 3 kits that can prove otherwise.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah I dont think it is the whole line but people should be aware that it is out there. The one I was going to buy did the exact same movement. It was so ridiculous that we kept taking it apart and triple checking everything to make sure it was not something obvious. In any regards my apologies to the OP for getting off track.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I had this video from last summer when I was learning these songs.

Here's a B/B kit with the Star hardware.

As you can see when I play/strike the drum there isn't anywhere near the movement suggested in that video from above.

All 3 of my kits react the same way.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I had this video from last summer when I was learning these songs.

Here's a B/B kit with the Star hardware.

As you can see when I play/strike the drum there isn't anywhere near the movement suggested in that video from above.

All 3 of my kits react the same way.

Looks absolutely fine...................that original "wobbly" video would scare me.

User Info Menu

To each his own I guess. There's no empirical evidence in reviews, videos, etc... that this is at all a problem other than seeming "weird" to people when they first set up the kit.

There are tons of performance/review video's like Bish's that show no FT movement when playing (even though the sway is there) and a little rack tom movement.

It's been well over a year and I would think if this was a serious design flaw it would be all over the internet, particularly the Tama Forums.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I wish I could see this issue first hand.

Gorgeous new kit. Enjoy!!