Thread: Didn't make it to nationals.

User Info Menu

Default Didn't make it to nationals.

I found out this afternoon that I didn't make it to the VA arts and talent nationals. They picked a older gentleman that tap dances and that also won last year. But that's ok that will give me time to practice for next year. Thinking about doing a drum cover in a recording studio and sending that in for next years talent show. Now some more good news my new Ludwig breakbeat came in. Still in the box and will unpack it and put it all together tonight. Of course I will have to buy new heads alittle at a time so I can make it sound good.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Didn't make it to nationals.

Sorry to hear that, but you are keeping your head up and that is fantastic. Congratulations on the new kit!

User Info Menu

You win some, you lose some. Keep your head up.

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter AT ALL if you made it to Nationals or not. You worked hard and gave it a shot. Your time will come. It's inevitable, given your dedication. Your "stick with it" attitude has been an inspiration to me, and I'm sure to many others as well. We're all proud of you!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thank you all.

User Info Menu

Oh well. If you have fun playing the drums what's the big deal. I only started to love the drums after I stopped competing and finished drum exams.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 06-23-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

"You win some, you lose some"

I see that Tom made another trip to "Cliches R Us"

Gregg, you will make this contest and win it some day.

User Info Menu

You know, playing drums in a talent contest might be a bit of a disadvantage to start with. Everyone thinks know how hard it is to tap-dance. They can easily relate. Do many non-drummers really know the dedication and skill required to play drums? Do most people think it "looks easy"? I can't count the number of times that someone sat behind my kit to "give it a shot" and found out they have zero coordination. Even being a drummer, I still sometimes hear a beat, think it "should" be easy, sit down to play...and proceed to get an immediate self assessment of how much of a novice I am, LOL. Many people have a pre-conceived idea of Pert style drum or VanHalen style guitar solos being a measure of talent. Obviously, they are both iconic, BUT, real drummers and guitar players all have our unsung idols that we appreciate for the less obvious things only we know.

No disrespect meant to Neil or Eddy....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham