Thread: Small problem with floor tom.

User Info Menu

Default Small problem with floor tom.

While I was putting the heads on the floor tom notice that the wood was damaged alittle. I'm going to take a pic. of it and take it to lowes or a place that sells wood and see if it can be fixed. The problem is on the bottom so you really can't see it. It really doesn't really affect the sound at all. The rest of the drums sound great and the snare needs some work on it. Otherwise I am very please with my Ludwig breakbeat. Very impressed with the bass drum it sounds amazing for a 16" bass drum. Later I am thinking of seeing if Ludwig has a 14" floor tom in the same color that I can buy. Also the toms and snare needs new heads on them which will come later.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Small problem with floor tom.

Is this on the new kit you just got?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I had some similar bearing edge damage on my ludwig floor tom. I sanded it down a bit around the spot. Never fully got rid of it but tuning isn't an issue anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

yes it is my new kit I just got.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, that's not an uncommon problem with less expensive off-shore drums. The good thing is, unless it's really badly damaged, it can be fixed. If you post some pics and describe the issue, we can help.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Fixing voids in bearing edges is really not that difficult. All you need is can of wood putty, something to apply it with (I use my finger), and a couple grades of sandpaper. Don't leave too much excess because this stuff dries very hard, and you don't want to have to sand a bunch off. I use a piece of wooden closet rod with the sandpaper taped to it do the sanding, and then buff the whole bearing edge with scotch-brite before I put the head back on.

User Info Menu

I Would not try to fix it. Being a new kit then that would be warranty issue regardless of how little the damage is. You paid good money for it it should be flawless. It is up to you just saying.