Thread: Maple or poplar

User Info Menu

Default Maple or poplar

Hi I'm wondering if I should keep my pearl forum heat compression shells or buy a pearl decade maple kit ? I think the sound of my pearl is great

User Info Menu

Default Re: Maple or poplar

Welcome to the forum! If you like your current drums, is there a reason to spend the money to upgrade to maple? If you are just starting out, the kit you have should be fine for a while. My son and I started just under a year ago and we are still very happy with our Yamaha Stage Custom kit (Birch/Falkata). Would we love a higher end kit? Sure, but at this point our focus is on getting better on the kit we have and practicing as much as possible. Whatever you end up deciding, have fun!
    Drumming noob
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5
    Cranberry Red
    Zildjian A Custom Hats
    Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride
    Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Tama Iron Cobra 600 Series double chain pedal

User Info Menu

It is up to you man if you like the kit that you have now then keep it. I have a Maple kit and love it. Welcome to DC
    Keep on drumming and have fun doing it.

5pc Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 18x22 14x6.5 matching snare
    Pearl Sensitone 14x5.5 steel alloy snare
    Vintage Slingerland " Festival" steel snare 14x5
    Zildjian A's (avendis) Vintage 70's era
    17 med thin crash, 14 new beat hhts and 21 sweet crash/ride
    Zildjian K 18 med thin crash
    Pearl 1000 series all double braced hadware: 2 cymbal stands , 1 boom stand, hhts stand, snare stand
    Pearl Eliminator single chain drive

User Info Menu

Yeah that's truly up to you. If you're happy with what you got stick with it. If you think you're ready for an upgrade and financially sound go for it!
    19pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage | 12pc PDP X7 Sparkle Orange | 9pc Ludwig Jr. wine red | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 39 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

Get the Maples ..

User Info Menu

Love maple - you wouldn't regret the move.

User Info Menu

If you are happy with your Forum set I recommend you keep it. If you decide to buy the Pearl Decades because you regard them to be 'better' drums because of the maple shells, maybe in a year or so you will decide you want to upgrade to MCX or other high end shells because they are more desirable.

If you are still using the stock snare drum that came with the Pearl Forum set I'd prioritise upgrading that first.

User Info Menu

If you are happy with the drums you have, keep them. I do agree with CC to upgrade the snare.

User Info Menu

imho

the forum is simply a toy compared to a quality maple kit , and not simply because the maple sounds wayyyyyyyy better ...you will notice side by side the clarity on maple , the notes are just more audible

User Info Menu

I play a Sound Percussion poplar kit at my rehearsal studio. The owner changed the heads to Aquarian 2 ply (forgot which ones) but the kit sounds amazing. There are plenty of videos/tutorials on YouTube how people made minor adjustments to poplar/low end kits and they sound good. Another point is your budget, how much are you willing to spend. Can't go wrong with brand new but they are plenty of used maple kits out there. Last point if you are just starting out like Old E said concentrate on your skill level, don't get caught up in thinking a maple/high end kit is going to make you sound better.

User Info Menu

The best sounding set of drums I've ever heard was played by a guy named Johnny Wallet. He played in a band like our band, we made money, but, we had to keep on the move to do so.

Back in the mid-'70's, I would hear about the sound that he got from his drums from a lot of different drummers, so I knew that at some point I would have to hear him, and it took almost 2 years before our paths crossed.

When I got the chance, my friend and bass player went with me to hear his band and him. The sound he got was as good as any I had heard, and when the night was done, I took a stroll past the stage to get a look at his drums. They were not any of the "name" brand drum sets. THEY WERE US MERCURY DRUMS, or 1 step above balsa wood.

If you can tune, I don't care what kind of drums you have, you can make them sound as good as the high end sets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    If you can tune, I don't care what kind of drums you have, you can make them sound as good as the high end sets.
    This is the cold hard truth that the big name drum companies don't want you to hear---drums are plywood---what kind of tree it is made from is insignificant to the overall sound!

User Info Menu

True, they are plies of wood.
    Keep on drumming and have fun doing it.

5pc Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 18x22 14x6.5 matching snare
    Pearl Sensitone 14x5.5 steel alloy snare
    Vintage Slingerland " Festival" steel snare 14x5
    Zildjian A's (avendis) Vintage 70's era
    17 med thin crash, 14 new beat hhts and 21 sweet crash/ride
    Zildjian K 18 med thin crash
    Pearl 1000 series all double braced hadware: 2 cymbal stands , 1 boom stand, hhts stand, snare stand
    Pearl Eliminator single chain drive

User Info Menu

Some of the best drums I have ever heard have actually been Poplar/Maple hybrids. They work very very well together. Much better than any other hybrids I can think of.
    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

DW Collectors

Premier Elite Black Sparkle

Zildjian K Cymbals

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

MOST ORCHESTRA'S ARE JUST 1800'S COVER BANDS!