Thread: Evans emad heavyweight?

User Info Menu

Default Evans emad heavyweight?

I need a new kick head anyway and they're selling a head set with a heavyweight emad and a heavyweight snare batter at l&m for pretty cheap. Anyone have experience with the heavyweight heads?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans emad heavyweight?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I need a new kick head anyway and they're selling a head set with a heavyweight emad and a heavyweight snare batter at l&m for pretty cheap. Anyone have experience with the heavyweight heads?
    Yes, snare only. I have 2, one on my PDP/DW Limited edition 18 ply, and one on my ocdp maple snare, and that's out of 13 snares. It's like anything else w/heads,it's just finding the right head for the right snare. Toms are a little easier. The one on my OCDP 13x7 snare sounds KILLER! by the way.

User Info Menu

I only use EMads and Gmads. I LOVE them!

User Info Menu

Well they were out of the heavyweight so I picked up an EMAD2 instead. My first Evans head in a long time.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I had the Heavyweight on my 22 Yamaha kick....meh.

User Info Menu

HW kick didn't work well on my RC but its amazing on the Saturn and Orion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    HW kick didn't work well on my RC but its amazing on the Saturn and Orion
    Haven't used one on any other kit, but it does sound good on my Saturns.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I think you're better off with the Emad2.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I agree, no more than G2. I have 6 acoustic sets and I have Emads on all. 16"-24".

User Info Menu

I ended up getting the emad 2. Love it

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I agree, no more than G2. I have 6 acoustic sets and I have Emads on all. 16"-24".
    I put the Emad on my 16"FT converted bass drum. Don't remember the ply (maybe single?)...but it really made it sound like a bass drum.
    On my 18" Bop bass, I just installed a clear Evans EQ4 batter that I bought on clearance. I think they may have discontinued them. It's a 2ply with outer control ring and holes; pretty much the same as the Evans HD dry Genera snare head. WOW. Beautiful deep tone, great feel and massive punch. I may try one of those on my new Ludwig 22" if I can find one.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

On my 18" Bop bass, I just installed a clear Evans EQ4 batter that I bought on clearance ... I may try one of those on my new Ludwig 22" if I can find one.
    If you can't find one, you can check out the EQ3. I believe that it's the same thing without the vent holes. I use the EQ3 clear on my 22" Ludwig maple kick with an Evans Aramid Fiber Bass Drum Patch and DW pillow and it sounds killer, especially when mic'ed ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    If you can't find one, you can check out the EQ3. I believe that it's the same thing without the vent holes. I use the EQ3 clear on my 22" Ludwig maple kick with an Evans Aramid Fiber Bass Drum Patch and DW pillow and it sounds killer, especially when mic'ed ...
    I just looked it up, cause I couldn't remember....
    I guess I actually have the EQ3, which is two 6.5mil plies with internal overtone control ring, removable muffle ring and vent holes. The EQ4 is a single 10mil ply. Regardless, it impressed me way more than the Emads I've tried.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I just looked it up, cause I couldn't remember....
    I guess I actually have the EQ3, which is two 6.5mil plies with internal overtone control ring, removable muffle ring and vent holes. The EQ4 is a single 10mil ply. Regardless, it impressed me way more than the Emads I've tried.
    My EQ3 clear batters don't have vent holes. Does yours? I believe that the EQ3 reso have holes.

I also prefer the EQ3 to the Emads for both sound and feel. And they are incredibly durable and long lasting ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I ended up getting the emad 2. Love it
    Good choice Mike. I've had good results with the Emad 2 kick batter. It compliments the 22" kick really well.

User Info Menu

On my second Emad 2...best kick drum head I have played...

User Info Menu

nice kit by the way.. !

User Info Menu

Thanks!