Thread: StickTwirl?

User Info Menu

Default StickTwirl?

Any of you guys try this product out? It popped up on my facebook feed today with an endorsement from Dennis Chambers. Not sure how useful it would be but it looked kind of neat in a gimmicky way. Not posting a link, but you can look it up on Google.

OED
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: StickTwirl?

User Info Menu

what a gimmick..... no thanks

User Info Menu

Agree with Spaz.
    I've never bothered to learn any of the conventional showy twirl stuff because I'm too busy doing my job; making my rig and my band sound good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

i bought a pair recently. they really play up the whole twirling aspect of the product , but it was also supposed to aid in hand fatigue and help in learning the moeller technique. since i have tendonitis and sometimes have discomfort while playing, i thought i would try them out. it turns out they do help with hand fatigue. unfortunately, they are a bit uncomfortable in my hands because of thumb placement (for some that may not be an issue). in addition to helping hand fatigue, the also make it easier to play with your pinky and ring fingers. as for twirling, yeah they make it fairly easy to do that too, but if you already are capable of twirling a stick , using these will seem like more work than your used to. youll have to get used to the motion of using these to twirl.

so- if you want to buy these to twirl, id say skip it and learn the way everyone else has for years. but if you have carpal tunnel or tendonitis , etc these might be worth trying out for the $20 bucks they are currently charging. hope this helps.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

As many of you know, I have worked with Drum Bum for years directly and indirectly (these days more indirectly). Not trying to diss the product either but I saw so many of these products come through that place for years. Somebody buys the stuff because they would sell a lot of it but I gotta tell you, most of it's a bunch of gimmicky garbage. That's just my opinion. I work 'independently' so that's my 'independent' opinion, lol. Hopefully I won't get fired for saying it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Somebody buys the stuff because they would sell a lot of it but I gotta tell you, most of it's a bunch of gimmicky garbage. That's just my opinion. I work 'independently' so that's my 'independent' opinion
    Honesty/Integrity are always very much appreciated................and I will add the following:
    The t-shirts I have purchased from Drum Bum are of very good quality at a good price.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

We all know how it ended for Johnny Ringo...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

does he have permission to use the Zildjian font?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I always just twirled my sticks between my first two fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Honesty/Integrity are always very much appreciated................and I will add the following:
    The t-shirts I have purchased from Drum Bum are of very good quality at a good price.
    Thanks and yea, they're a good company. Have treated me well through the years.

User Info Menu

Stick twirling! You all have obviously missed my tutorial on twirling. Watch and learn????

User Info Menu

You have your priorities the right way round Rick. Twirling, spinning and flipping is for cheerleaders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    You have your priorities the right way round Rick. Twirling, spinning and flipping is for cheerleaders.
    Every time that a stick leaves your hand, you run the risk of dropping it.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Buddy Rich once commented, drummers who are into theatrics, have to make up for their lack of style and playing. He added, '..you can't record twirling on a record'.

User Info Menu

So a person who twirls his stick is not "taking care of business" and only "showboating" ?
    Seems to me that this guy blows anybody here away ...me included . Maybe next time you see Thomas Lange you can shout to him that he's a wanker for twirling his sticks...

User Info Menu

"Seems to me that this guy blows anybody here away ...me included"

I've been on this forum for 6 years and I don't know what everybody on it can and cannot do. Lang is fun to watch, no doubt about that, and maybe he can "blow" you away and maybe he can't, but you can't say "Seems to me that this guy blows anybody here away ...me included" when you don't know what "everybody" here can do, and saying "...me included" seems to me that you're putting yourself at the top of the food chain............................................. ..................................REALLY.

User Info Menu

i met him a few months back , nice fellow too

User Info Menu

I have no problem with guys that twirl or spin or do backflips (yes, one guy really does that!!!). It's whatever you want to do. We all got in this for fun. If you're having fun, you're alright in my book!

User Info Menu

I'd kill for just a small percentage of Thomas Lang's drum abilities lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'd kill for just a small percentage of Thomas Lang's drum abilities lol
    You probably have them. As I said ^^^^^^^^^, Lang is great fun to watch but, if you listen without watching the visuals, you would realize that he's not doing anything that a thousand other drummers could do and have done.

User Info Menu

Old school. IIRC, back in the 60s Rogers, Slingerland, and Ludwig had these in their catalogs.

User Info Menu

I spin my sticks regularly. Unfortunately it's never intentional which is why I have a spare stick holder on both my hi hat stand and my floor Tom.