Thread: When friends upgrade

User Info Menu

Default When friends upgrade

They reach out to you to see if you want their hand me downs, and boy do I ever. I told him to wait for pay day and I'm all about this deal.

He has a full Gibraltar rack with multiple cymbal arms, three rack tom mounts, snare stand, Gibraltar throne with backrest, and Mapex Falcon high hat stand. All of this for $250. There is no way I can turn this deal down. I'm just hoping no one snags it up before I get paid!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: When friends upgrade

Sounds like a deal.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That's a steal.

User Info Menu

Great deal. I would make a point of asking your friend to hold them until you get paid - at that price I think they will sell really quick.

User Info Menu

If he's really your friend, he'll wait until you get paid and give you the first shot.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    If he's really your friend, he'll wait until you get paid and give you the first shot.
    Yeah, great deal! Just the Mapex Hi Hat stand alone. . . . WOW! I have one and I think they are one of the best out there! I rate it higher than DW IMHO. Good luck and post pics!

User Info Menu

Yes, great deal ... a lot of really good stuff for the money!

Hopefully your friend will give you first dibs ...

User Info Menu

Is your friend getting a new rack system, or going to stands...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Is your friend getting a new rack system, or going to stands...?
    He got a new rack system.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great deal! My setup is much too simple for all that extra hardware, but if you like to have a bunch of cymbals a rack is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Update? Did you get it? Pics?
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

I get paid Thursday. Hoping to pick it up then!

User Info Menu

Picked it up today. Excuse the mess. Wife is doing some spring..err...summer cleaning and I set it up in the house and not my drum room. It's too hot out there! I don't have the full rack set up right now. I will have it up Saturday when we have practice.

Rack1.jpg

Rack3.jpg
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 07-20-2017 at 02:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I think that one thing is a little bit too far to the one side and should come down just a hair.

Other than that, what do you think?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

One thing I didn't like about most of the "better" racks is the uprights seem (for me, at least) to be too tall and when mounting a cymbal they tend to be really up there.

What I did was mount the cymbal upside down and then spin the boom arm so the cymbal hung below the pivot tip. It worked for me any way.

You can see it pretty well in this picture.

20160801_233107 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

Enjoy your rack. I will always have one.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I think that one thing is a little bit too far to the one side and should come down just a hair.

Other than that, what do you think?
    I have got them where they are comfortable to me. I'm a tall guy at 6-5, but I did bring them down a bit.

I like the rack. I don't know that I am going to use the attachment for the left side of the kit right now because I don't have a ton of cymbals. I may just use it as it sits right now. I do like the ease of being able to just set the rack up, then put toms and cymbals on it and be ready to go. Once they are set, they are set. I've found that I can get a general area that I like when I would set up with boom stands, etc., but then I'd have to take extra time to get it precise. I have this one about where I want it now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I have got them where they are comfortable to me. I'm a tall guy at 6-5, but I did bring them down a bit.

I like the rack. I don't know that I am going to use the attachment for the left side of the kit right now because I don't have a ton of cymbals. I may just use it as it sits right now. I do like the ease of being able to just set the rack up, then put toms and cymbals on it and be ready to go. Once they are set, they are set. I've found that I can get a general area that I like when I would set up with boom stands, etc., but then I'd have to take extra time to get it precise. I have this one about where I want it now.
    That's the magic of a rack. Now you are getting it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have band practice tomorrow (getting ready for our first gig), so I decided to get some work in now that it's all set up. This is just an impromptu solo at the end. I had some flubs at the end, but that's why we practice.

User Info Menu

As noted I don't have the full rack set up. I don't see the need right now, but I set it up today for our band practice. Set up time was considerably shorter.

20170722_105522.jpg

20170722_105513.jpg

20170722_105459.jpg

User Info Menu

Did you mount it on a wall?

Something else I noticed.....if you move your toms upwards more on the tom arm, it will give you a bit more resonance on the shells. Not sure of the dynamics of it but it has been proven. I've also been told if you hang the toms off the tom arms (inverted) you get more resonance that way. I've never been fond of mounting a tom on an arm upside down...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm not sure why when you add an attachment it always goes sideways lol. I am going to play with toms a bit. I noticed they didn't sound as good today.

Here's better photos

User Info Menu

It looks a little easier to play that way. lol

These are of course my opinions from messing with racks for many years. I def think you need to get the toms up more on the arms. Also, if it were me, I would invert your clamps so the arm can mount on the drummer side of the cross bar. You'll get a wider range of physical adjustment that way with the toms. Not that you need it.

I found that if I moved the rack cross bar even with the front of the bass drum, I can add another clamp and make a boom mike stand off the cross bar for micing the bass drum instead of putting another tripod on the floor. Something ALL singers are notorious for finding and kicking at least once a set. Soon after that little light bulb had gone off, I mounted all my mics on the rack. Wow, was that ever the bomb.

The last thing I prefer with my rack is to get the center cross bar as close to the bass drum as possible but still leaving room to slide it in and out during setup and tear down. This will also give you more flexibility in where your toms hang from the tom arms. (Click)

I like to use my rack as my "Bracket Protection Racket" (heheh). In essence, the further forward the rack is, the further away everyone has to be from the kit. Kind of like a fence. Plus, if you get stuffed in a corner neither side of the rack will be a wall issue.

One more thing I did to trim down the rack further was to mount my ride assembly to the down tube of the right hand side of your rack. Other than the cowbell, if you don't add a cymbal to the right rear upright, you can take it off completely. I've been able to get by with just the two front uprights and the cross bar for a very tight, trim setup.

Experiment. You have so many options.

All in all it looks good and the more stuff you add will NOT require any additional tripods. For some, there is much goodness in owning a rack and using it wisely.

Nice job with getting it set up and functional. It makes your kit look beastly without taking up an entire room.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Rack mounts....I don't know, I guess I'm getting old. I have a rack mount(old) and I was just recently messing w/it. Setting it up for a gig..... too much hassle. I set up my Mapex w/it and I think It got a little out of control,so I cut it down some, more ways than one. The larger setup I ran out of space, I have more octobans and drums! so I made it simple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Rack mounts....I don't know, I guess I'm getting old. I have a rack mount(old) and I was just recently messing w/it. Setting it up for a gig..... too much hassle. I set up my Mapex w/it and I think It got a little out of control,so I cut it down some, more ways than one. The larger setup I ran out of space, I have more octobans and drums! so I made it simple.
    Lookin' good, MD.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    That is nice! I have really started to like Mapex since I got the kit I have now. I was always a Tama guy before that.