Thread: Played an awesome 20 year old Gretsch kit!

User Info Menu

Default Played an awesome 20 year old Gretsch kit!

Last band rehearsal there was a different kit in the studio. My friend is helping his friend sell a Gretsch Renown kit that's at least 20 years old. 10, 12 rack toms, 14 hanging floor and 18 by 22 kick. The kit is in flawless condition, beautiful finish, die cast hoops and it sounds killer! The guy only wants $800 bucks for it. If I didn't just get a maple kit, I'd seriously consider it. One thing I love about rehearsing in this studio is the opportunity to play all different kinds of gear. Besides the drums, I got to play Paragon crashes and a Paiste ride. In the last couple of weeks I've also played a great old Yamaha kit with Sabian HHX cymbals. It's a great way to learn about gear and expand my horizons.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Played an awesome 20 year old Gretsch kit!

I considered many kits before pulling the trigger on my USA Customs. It took me forever to clear it off of layaway and I had to sell a bunch of mid-range kits to dig myself out of a hole but boy, it was well worth the sacrifice! The looks are a sleeper but the sound is commanding. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It made me appreciate what I have even more!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Played an awesome 20 year old Gretsch kit!

Mine (USA) are about 34 years old. Never really considered buying anything else. The magic is still there every time I sit behind them.

all the best...