Thread: Buddy Rich Drum Company

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Buddy Rich Drum Company

so basically these were just dw drums supplied for a made up company and sold for 1 or 2 years? was this a marketing ploy by dw?

20170717_115624.jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buddy Rich Drum Company

I think it was something to do with Buddy's daughter either forming a drum company or allowing a company to use the name under licence.

I believe they were Taiwanese maple 'lookalikes', I wouldn't describe it as a scam, but if anyone was that obsessed with Buddy Rich that they must have the same drums I think they'd probably go the same route as the Led Zep and Beatle fans that insist they must pay through the nose for period Ludwigs. Didn't Buddy play Slingerland drums or did he move to PDP when they went under?

User Info Menu

i could make a joke here but wasnt he gone before pdp?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Maybe that ad to sell those drums is a scam . I remember when those Buddy Rich drums came out . They are legit true pro drums . Thing is nobody cared enough to own a kit with Buddy's name on it , so they were look upon as novelty drums . Kind of like if Ringo were to start Ringo Starr Drums ... I don't think many people would buy them .

User Info Menu

the badge looks like the Slingerland badge

s-l1600.jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the badge looks like the Slingerland badge

s-l1600.jpg
    Yeah, I'm kinda concurring with your observation!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Maybe that ad to sell those drums is a scam . I remember when those Buddy Rich drums came out . They are legit true pro drums . Thing is nobody cared enough to own a kit with Buddy's name on it , so they were look upon as novelty drums . Kind of like if Ringo were to start Ringo Starr Drums ... I don't think many people would buy them .
    Yep. That type of marketing reminds people of this kind of stuff;
    IMG_1065.JPG

They could have been top-notch, but people who buy top-notch don't subscribe to that type of marketing.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

i need to bring one of those when i go to Hawaii east bound and down loaded up and truckin.....
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree it does look like my Slingerland Niles badge oval with black black and silver.

User Info Menu

After a quick internet search, it appears Cindy Rich started up the BRDC and they started making them with DW in the PDP factory in Taiwan. After a short while, there was a falling out. Cindy then teamed up with SJC drums to build them and DW began building BR "tribute" drums out of their classic shells, but, they were badged as DW.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I read that the first line made by DW (Buddy Rich Commemorative Kit ) was said to have been of high quality as they featured Keller mahogany/poplar/mahogany shells, a single ply RK style maple snare, and high quality hardware. The second line made by DW in conjunction with Cathy Rich et al in the DW factory in Tiawan featured maple shells and were of decent quality. The SJC lines that came afterward are said to have been inferior in quality ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-18-2017 at 09:26 PM.