Thread: Decent Jazz ride?

User Info Menu

Talking Decent Jazz ride?

Hey everyobe! Im a starting drummer testing out different genres. My good friend (also an exremely excellent drummer) is offering to sell me his Avedis ping ride. I want to use that for my main kit. So once I get that ping ride, I have the 20" zbt ride for my secondary jazz kit. Are there any other additional rides worth checking out for jazz? I'm not personally a big fan of the zbt, any suggestions? I'm not a jazz drummer, but I would love to learn! Thank you for suggestions everyone!

-neil 🤙😁

User Info Menu

Default Re: Decent Jazz ride?

In my years of drumming, I have figured out that there are many different types of cymbals that can be used for a jazz ride. Traditionally, you'll find a lot of jazz drummers using a thinner ride cymbal with a darker tone. This will add to the crashability of the cymbal. A couple that come to mind are the Zildjian K, And the Sabian HH series. You don't have to limit yourself to any particular brand or series. My personal recommendation would be to look for a thinner ride cymbal. Don't be afraid to check out the used market.

User Info Menu

My 2 cents,try a Sabian XS 20 inch medium ride.
    Modestly priced and a great cymbal for jazz.
    Small bell and warm undertones make this a great choice
    Can be had used for under $100 bucks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNg-oJuouI
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree. My first thought for a Jazz ride is "dark & washy". I would avoid anything made from B8 bronze....like ZBT, B8, PST's, etc.. my focus would be on anything B20 bronze, 20" or larger, thin and with a smaller and/or flatter bell. If it's hand hammered and/or natural finished it would be even better.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

BackStreetDrums Guest

Sabian Vanguard 22"...light/thin and for sale.

User Info Menu

A 20" Zildjian k dark ride can be had fairly cheap compared to other cymbals of comparable quality. Definitely work a look.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

20" K Custom Dry ride is pretty jazzy IMHO.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Play Jazz extensively for years....Bosphorus always good, played Agops, Mehmets, Sabians, Keropes. All great in their own style....but seriously made a change to Paiste last year. Now have 602's, and Master Darks. Enjoy the Paistes the best out of all the Turks I have owned and played.

And believe it or not, a Paiste sleeper, IMO, that fits jazz so nicely, tho I do not have one, is the new 900 Series 22" ride. Just the perfect blend of 'dark' and 'ping', retains the Paiste crystal sizzle sound, and would be a good jazz ride. At $246 NEW, don't overlook it.
    I am planning on getting one as I sell off some 'old'

User Info Menu

I searched for four years for the "perfect" ride, which had to be good for jazz. I ended up with the Zildjan K Hybrid 20". It's got a controlled stick sound, a great bell sound, and is very crashable. It's about $350 most places.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a K Custom Dark Ride and have been very pleased with it's balance of warmth, wash and definition. I have the 22" but if I had it to do over again I would have gotten the 20".

User Info Menu

Sabian AA medium 20"---haven't found anything this workhorse can't handle!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    20" K Custom Dry ride is pretty jazzy IMHO.

I went from a dry ride (pic above), which to me sounded like I was playing a man-hole-cover and did a 180 degree turn and found this vintage 22" K Ride. The two words I would use to describe this new found gem is washy and ringy.

User Info Menu

If you want a thin, dark, washy ride for fairly cheap, look at Dream. Specifically the Bliss series. They are all unique so I wouldn't order one without hearing an exact demo, but there are some really good ones in there.

If money isn't a problem, Bosphorus, Meinl Byzance, or some of the Sabian HH / HHX stuff. Loads of options there. I also recently discovered another Turkish company called Impression. They split from Bosphorus and have a similar sound but for even less money. $170 for a 16" crash for example.

User Info Menu

I have a super nice 1950s Zildian 20" ride I could be talked into parting with. This one is the real deal, from the time before the big guitar amps and the need for rides to be heavier and cut. The 50's rides are nice and washy with a bit of complexity.But they still have a distinct ping and a super clear bell.